Consuming too much processing power

Michael Klontzas

Oct 12, 2020, 11:33:09 AM10/12/20
to FireAnt-Discussion
I installed the Windows 64-bit (1.1.4) version and it seems to capture correctly tweets featuring either of two hashtags I specified. The rate is about one tweet per minute as expected. The problem is that FireAnt consumes far too much CPU power (30%+ non-stop) for waiting almost idly to capture that one tweet per minute. Processing power consumption and the fan being permanently on is an issue here for longer term capturing. Is that expected behaviour? The laptop is not very new (ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen, 8GB, SSD) but it copes with far more complex tasks comfortably. By comparison, Mozdeh, using the Search API to follow the same hashtags, has a negligible footprint. Just wondering if it's a bug.

Laurence Anthony

Oct 12, 2020, 12:39:13 PM10/12/20
to Michael Klontzas, FireAnt-Discussion
Hi Michael,

I had a look at this just now. On my computer the CPU does jump to 25% when collecting tweets. I doubt there is a bug, but I'll look into it. Maybe there is a way to optimize the collection.

Laurence.

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 00:33, Michael Klontzas <m.klo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I installed the Windows 64-bit (1.1.4) version and it seems to capture correctly tweets featuring either of two hashtags I specified. The rate is about one tweet per minute as expected. The problem is that FireAnt consumes far too much CPU power (30%+ non-stop) for waiting almost idly to capture that one tweet per minute. Processing power consumption and the fan being permanently on is an issue here for longer term capturing. Is that expected behaviour? The laptop is not very new (ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen, 8GB, SSD) but it copes with far more complex tasks comfortably. By comparison, Mozdeh, using the Search API to follow the same hashtags, has a negligible footprint. Just wondering if it's a bug.

Michael Klontzas

Oct 12, 2020, 3:01:11 PM10/12/20
to FireAnt-Discussion
Thank you, Laurence. Just to show what I mean, the typical picture below looks very odd for one tweet a minute. Fireant must be very busy looping frantically. It's like that constantly. fireant.png

Michael

Laurence Anthony

Oct 12, 2020, 8:13:54 PM10/12/20
to Michael Klontzas, FireAnt-Discussion
Thanks Michael,

I'll certainly look into this.

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/