Geolocated tweets

mariaben...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 11:18:39 AM4/25/17
to FireAnt-Discussion
Hi Laurence,

Thank you so much for creating this software, I spent forever trying to create my own version until I came across this!

I am doing my geography dissertation on twitter and I am hoping I could use FireAnt for my data collection. For my project I am trying to filter keywords within a geographic boundary, I have managed to do this however some of my results do not include my keyword in and others have the keywords but not in the specified boundary. I was just wondering if the geographic boundary could act as filters for other filter parameters or not, and if there is a way that this can be over come as I would love to use this for my dissertation.

Thank you!
Maria

Laurence Anthony

Apr 25, 2017, 11:21:46 AM4/25/17
to mariaben...@gmail.com, FireAnt-Discussion
Hi Maria,

The results should all be matching the search criteria. How often are
you getting results that are not *completely* matching the criteria
(e.g. 1 in 10; 1 in 100)? Also, how are you testing this?

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fireant/ee6f294b-7146-442a-8947-f3cd3bf527d0%40googlegroups.com.

mariaben...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 12:43:06 PM4/25/17
to FireAnt-Discussion, mariaben...@gmail.com
Hi Laurence,

Thank you for the quick reply! I have attached the search criteria i used and co-ordinate box is for England. I ran this just now as a test for a few minutes for you to hopefully understand what I mean from the screen shots. I got 250 results however several place names eg the Korea one with no relation to the uk (in attachment) and the tweet was a RT not including my key word. Also when I filtered the tweets for my keyword after importing again I only received 23 results (attached) with frequencies that I am unsure what they relate to. I just need to find a way of filtering out a table with the full tweet of my keyword and geolocation ideally!

I hope this all makes sense and sorry if some of it is really obvious as I am just trying to get to grips with it all :)
23 with race in.png
korea-.png
original search.png

Laurence Anthony

Apr 25, 2017, 12:55:38 PM4/25/17
to mariaben...@gmail.com, FireAnt-Discussion
Instead of sending me screenshots, can you send me the actual json
tweet data that you collected for this search and tell me a row in the
tweet file that you think is not appropriate? (Perhaps send it me
directly rather than through the list).

Just because a user's location is entered as "Korea", it doesn't mean
that the tweet was actually sent from Korea. I suspect that the data
is fine, but I need to see the full JSON to know check this.

Laurence.

Laurence ANTHONY, Ph.D.
Professor of Applied Linguistics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
E-mail: antho...@gmail.com
WWW: http://www.laurenceanthony.net/

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fireant/78ae7ef9-b59b-42ff-a19f-fa7f072d0f1d%40googlegroups.com.

Laurence Anthony

Apr 28, 2017, 8:53:07 AM4/28/17
to FireAnt-Discussion, mariaben...@gmail.com
To conclude this thread, it seems that the Twitter API only allows search filters with the geo location as an OR condition (not AND). So, the best way to achieve the desired result here is to first filter on *only* the geo location, and then within FireAnt, search for all tweets that include the target word. This will effectively create the geo AND search term filter.

I hope that helps.

Laurence.