Call for proposals - IAMSLIC Conference 2019 ; Port Aransas, Texas ; 20-25 October 2019

Stephen B. Alayon

Mar 18, 2019, 7:58:23 PM3/18/19
to Yahoogroups, Yahoogroups, Yahoogroups, Yahoo! UK, Filipino Librarians Googlegroup, Mahlap

Call for proposals

The planning committee of the 45th Annual Conference of the International Association of Aquatic and Marine Science Libraries and Information Centers (IAMSLIC) invites you to join us in Port Aransas, Texas on 20-25 October 2019 in conjunction with the SAIL Regional Group Meeting.

The conference page is now available at http://www.iamslic.org/conf2019. Please consider submitting a conference proposal and sharing your knowledge with your colleagues.

The overall conference theme is Living on the Edge. Like Texas, IAMSLIC is also composed of diverse members who are either living ordinary lives in rather extraordinary circumstances or coping with unique situations at libraries and information centers. When we meet at conferences, or via listserv and web meetings, IAMSLIC helps to serve as a melting pot; a space where mixtures and exchanges of library practices, experiences, culture, and philosophies are shared among our members.

Sharing our success, failures, challenges, and strategies make up the story and history of IAMSLIC. We share a rich hybrid culture. We have members leading libraries or information centers in extreme, poor or sad situations- in a disaster risk area, in conflict areas, and with bleak funding prospects or reduced budgets, among other examples. We are at the frontlines on fighting against misinformation, fake news, trolls, historical revisionism, hatred, and negativity. We are constantly bombarded with issues on increasing subscription costs, mergers or closures, succession planning, and devaluing of libraries. In short, librarians and information staff live on the edge. We have an adventurous or perilous lifestyle in our mission to develop an informed and literate society. Yet despite these situations, at the end of the day, we THRIVE!

This year we are looking for your contributions and insights on examples of both living on the edge and thriving at aquatic and marine science libraries and information centers. We would like to hear your coping mechanisms including strategies, innovations, and best practices. At the end of the conference, the participants should be able to gain insights on sharing and managing aquatic and marine science data, information and knowledge and its retrieval, renewal, and use. The conference aims to be a venue for discussion on how we are adopting, negotiating, repelling, embracing, and developing strategies to provide the best information services within the context of constantly changing information formats, while also expanding information to a global and diverse consumer base. And what does it mean to live on the edge – of water, of a continent, or in the path of danger?

We hope that you will find this conference rewarding, informative and fun. We are excited to meet new friends, learn new cultures and have a great time. IAMSLIC is a unique organization and we want to inspire you in your career, in your workplace, and with your IAMSLIC family. Enjoy!

Please submit your proposal to present at the conference via

https://goo.gl/831Ywg prior to Tuesday, 30 April 2019. The committee will respond following Monday, 15 May 2019. The deadline for submission of the draft full paper (especially those with conference travel grant) will be on Monday, 30 September 2019.

·         An abstract is required for consideration by the committee.

·         Oral presentations are typically allotted 20 minutes, with 10 minutes for questions.

·         Submissions may be for papers, workshops or panel sessions.

·         Conference registration is required in order to present an accepted paper.

·         All submissions will be reviewed for relevance to the conference theme, potential interest of the topic for members, and appropriateness of format.

Theme: Living on the Edge

Subthemes:

·         Valuing of Libraries

·         Return on Investment (ROI) for Libraries

·         Promotion and Marketing

·         Succession Planning

·         Disaster Management

·         Building Back Better Libraries

·         Greening Libraries

·         Best Practices in Aquatic and Marine Libraries and Information Centers

·         Fake News, Misinformation, Trolls, Historical Revisionism

·         Media and Information Literacy

·         Ocean Literacy

·         Capacity Building and Outreach Programs

·         Facilitating Sustainable and Resilient Communities

·         Information Management

·         Preservation 0f Aquatic Marine Information to Ensure Access

·         Licensing and Consortial Agreements

·         Cooperative Acquisition

·         Changing Roles of Libraries

·         Strategies for Providing Access to Information

·         Meeting the Challenges of Sustainability and Inclusivity

·         Serving Millennial Users

·         UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and Roles of Libraries

·         UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030)

·         Practical Solutions to Global Challenges

·         Climate Change and Aquatic and Marine Science Libraries

We look forward to receiving your proposal and hope you will be able to join us in Port Aransas in October.

If you have any questions, please email Stephen Alayon, IAMSLIC 2019 Conference Chair at <sbal...@seafdec.org.ph>

Stephen Alayon, Conference Planning Committee Chair (IAMSLIC President-elect)
Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Aquaculture Department Library (Iloilo, Philippines)
sbal...@seafdec.org.ph

Liz DeHartLocal Conference Committee Chair & Host,
The University of Texas at Austin, Marine Science Institute, Marine Science Library (Texas, USA)
l.de...@austin.utexas.edu

Hannah Roberts, Grants and Conferences Program Officer
The University of Texas at Austin Libraries (Texas, USA)
h.ro...@austin.utexas.edu

David BacaIAMSLIC Past President
Texas A&M University at Galveston (Texas, USA)
ba...@tamug.edu

Jeanine Scaramozzino, IAMSLIC President 2018-2019
Robert E. Kennedy Library, California Polytechnic University, (California, USA)
jsca...@calpoly.edu

STEPHEN B. ALAYON
Data Bank Senior Information Assistant
Mobile Phone No.: 63 919 4506688
Email Add: sbal...@seafdec.org.ph, stpn...@yahoo.com

Library and Data Banking Services Section
Aquaculture Department (AQD)
Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC)
Tigbauan, Iloilo 5021 Philippines
Telephone No.: 63 33 330 7088
Fax No.: 63 33 330 7031
Email Add: lib...@seafdec.org.ph