Fw: Open House in San Mateo County - November 13, 2012

Ashley Gray

Nov 14, 2012, 12:19:29 PM11/14/12
to NCCA

hello friends,
thought I’d take the liberty to share what I saw and learned at the GGNRA event last night. if you were there as well, please contribute what you learned and/or thoughts too.
1. while the party line from every official was that the professional drawings presented for both the Montara fallowed field and Moss Beach Etheldore sites (two options per site) were just “drafts”, it does appear settled that those are the two spots for the visitor trailheads. there are no other options being explored that would exclude them, including Grey Whale Cove.

2. for the Montara site (if my memory serves me correctly): both options were one way loops, one designated road in and one out. loop opens as it moves east, parking, etc towards east side of field. acceleration/deceleration lanes along highway one, north and south on east side of highway. option one had 60 parking spaces, option two 40, with room to expand to 60. parking would be at an angle, nose in. there are also plans for (up to three) horse trailer parking/loading zones. both plans had a bathroom, at least two small picnic sites, trailhead kiosk, signage, bike parking. lots of added shrubage to camouflage and a big open space in middle of loop. both plans use the entire fallowed field with trailhead signage right where all the trails converge at the east end of field. I did gleam that part of their strategy for such a large footprint is that it is always preferable to negotiate down than up. room to press for smaller footprint? less parking?

3. Moss Beach site: one option was a much smaller loop and one was a dead end rectangle parking lot – 20 cars? sorry, but this site did not get my full attention. can anyone else speak to this?

4. it is my understanding that they will not be posting pictures of the drawings on their website, but would have them available at future meetings, specifically an MCC meeting. however, if a significant number of folks committed to a meeting, they would make an effort to send someone with the proposals/maps for more discussion. in the meanwhile, maybe someone has pictures of the drawings to share?

5. timeline? I found it almost impossible to get a definitive answer from anyone. I think I understood that they have funding for initial studies (nice drawings) and are seeking funding for more planning and then construction. construction would be start to finish, not phased. Construction would be summer 2015? anyone else learn anything about this?
there are a number of things to potentially think about and discuss:
a.      how involved our group would like to become on these issues? Christine/GGNRA made it clear they would love to get feedback.
b.      could we reach a consensus position? do we need to reach a consensus position? I have heard from folks who liked the ideas presented last night and from others who are adamantly opposed
c.       developing and pushing for an alternative for one or both sites
d.      footprint/size of development
e.      materials used (paved vs. gravel vs. dirt) for road
f.        the fact that these options keep visitor parking out of neighborhoods
g.      it is a National Park for the public to enjoy and access needs to made available
h.      the impact of the development on the serenity of the view
I propose we let a conversation begin on line and if we get momentum, we rally up for another meeting to discuss in person.
peace-
Ashley

Nov 14, 2012, 12:51:56 PM11/14/12
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ashley,

Thanks so much for this summary, as I was unable to attend the meeting last night.  I will look forward to hearing from others who attended the meeting.  I also have the sense that there is a lot of mixed reaction to the two sites proposed.  However (and please correct me if I have this wrong), I believe those two sites are ones we put forward as options when we first started this conversation with GGNRA more than a year ago.  I think it is important that we continue to support these options moving forward and to continue to work with GGNRA to shape these options in the ways that best meet the community's needs.  I would support having a meeting to move forward in this way.

Karen

richard ward

Nov 14, 2012, 1:46:07 PM11/14/12
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Ashley - nice summary and Karen - well stated point, with which I agree. We wanted parking out of our neighborhoods and these were presented options. I like the idea of started with less space and expanding if needed. We have no idea how many visitors will really use this space (maybe GGNRA has a feeling some idea?) The less invasive the better? I'm sure there will be opposition to any ideas -trailheads put forth, but would support a meeting. Jeanette Ward