Le Conte

Julie Magagnini

Jan 29, 2013, 4:19:31 PM1/29/13
to christi...@partner.nps.gov, North Coast Communities Association
Christine,
        In your email to Martha you mentioned that in 2011 The GGNRA had proposed improvements to the end of Le Conte and that they where met with strong opposition from neighbors and that  " IT WAS SET ASIDE FOR THE TIME BEING'," and also that perhaps it would be worth exploring again.  I am here to say there will still be"strong opposition" to improvements to the end of Le Conte.  The end of that road has been a problem for the 33 years that I have lived here, with dumping, teenagers and four wheel drive vehicles.  I have said it before and I'll say it again I think that putting up three large redwood posts like the ones at the top of Old San Pedro Road with one of them  being removable to allow work crew trucks through, or incase of an emergency would solve a lot of the problems.  Vehicles would not be able to play in the mud, teenagers would not be able to do what they do and people would not be able dump.  Part of the problem with the end of Le Conte is that it is secluded.  You cannot see who is there, or what they are doing unless you are on the road itself.  As a homeowner I would feel safer knowing that no vehicles where allowed in that area.  Improvements can be made to the end of the road and a barrier erected to protect those improvements from the humans who don't care.

I also noticed that on your signage at the top of Old San Pedro Road has a spelling error.  The sign has Farallone spelled without the final e.  Farallon.

Best Regards,
Julie Magagnini

richard ward

Jan 29, 2013, 9:10:13 PM1/29/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Julie et al, We had Christina and the new ranger visit us at our Board meeting last week. They have been most receptive to our concerns here in Clipper Ridge. In fact, they wanted to have a volunteer day to put in fencing to keep off roading off our hills. You might want to suggest that for your area - put together a group to meet with them. Good luck! Jeanette

Julie Magagnini

Jan 29, 2013, 11:15:15 PM1/29/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeanette I'll give that a try,  I know they are working with a few of our members on the most recent problems with off-roading from Le Conte to Tamarind along the property line of the Alpaca Farm and GGNR land.  It is happening right where I think three large post (8x8)  with the middle one being removable, would be most effective.  I'll keep you updated and check with our other members.  Thanks  Julie

Sent from my iPad

stuart grunow

Jan 30, 2013, 12:57:21 PM1/30/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
I would love to see Le Conte paved wider with a turn around at the end.  You know, for the kids.  Maybe the school district should pay for it.  They are talking about a land swap with GGNRA.
Stuart Grunow, Architect

richard ward

Jan 30, 2013, 1:18:24 PM1/30/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Stuart - according to what we were told at the recent board meeting - the land swap is off  -due to some technicality. GGNRA is hoping the school district parcel by our park will be donated to them!!! Jeanette

merl...@comcast.net

Jan 30, 2013, 3:59:02 PM1/30/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com, Farall...@googlegroups.com

Julie, thanks for taking the initiative in starting this thread regarding Le Conte.  I live in El Granada but having been to that "neighborhood portal" for Rancho I cannot imagine why anyone would think widening and paving the road past an elementary school which ends in a secluded area (right above the playground) would be a good idea.  Additionally, why increase traffic in an already awkward traffic situation at the school anyway? Your suggestion of the three large posts with one removable for authorized vehicles is certainly practical.  I do hope GGNRA agrees.

I must share that I had a complaint about a pine tree on GGNRA property which overhung my property by 30 feet (to the ground!) and they did finally come and trim it up so now I can at least walk under it.   And, they have been doing scotch broom remediation behind our properties here...manually so it is a slow, plodding procedure but I do feel better about my property border with GGNRA.  The big debris piles left so long ago by POST still remain and are used occasionally by someone with a gas chainsaw to collect firewood!

Cheers!

Merideth Lamont

Julie Magagnini

Jan 30, 2013, 5:28:21 PM1/30/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we should think about having a meeting it's been along time!

Sent from my iPhone

stuart grunow

Jan 30, 2013, 7:57:32 PM1/30/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Merideth,

You have a lot of opinions for someone who has not been there.  I suggest you go take a look.  This road is used extensively by the parents whose kids go to that school.  It is a rutted dirty mess and the end of it is scary with broken bottles and homeless camps.  If it was made into a normal street (widened with parking and a turn around at the end) it would be a nice asset to the neighborhood.  If it was a trail head for the GGNRA it would be a nice asset to the school as well.  Rangers, etc. would be a welcome asset to public instruction.  The kids already go on hikes to the mountain, parents have to chaperone (which is not a problem).  How great would it be to have federal agents so closely associated with our neighborhood school.  People need to stop seeing this as a problem and start seeing this as a asset and talk about how we can work to get it right.  The land is ours, the GGNRA works for us, how great is that.  We just have to make our wishes known.

Stuart Grunow, Architect

bill kehoe

Jan 31, 2013, 1:06:47 AM1/31/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
Stuart,

Civility and cooperation are important in this group. People can express their opinion on topics without having to be called on where they live. One of the original objectives of this group was to keep Le Conte from being a trail head for GGNRA precisely because of the school's close proximity and the narrowness and condition of that road past the school. It may also interest you to know that it was the people from Clipper Ridge who first alerted us to the GGNRA proposal to consider it as a primary access to RCdT over two years ago.

I think Julie is right and maybe we do need an update on where things stand.
Thank you,

Bill Kehoe
Treasurer
MidCoast Community Council (
http://www.midcoastcommunitycouncil.org/ )

Ashley Gray

Jan 31, 2013, 11:14:07 AM1/31/13
to Farall...@googlegroups.com
hi everyone,

hope you are all well.

this email string was initiated by an email (at bottom, Jan. 29)  to Christine (GGNRA rep) in response to her email to several members of our group about LeConte related issues. in Christine's email (pasted below) she proactively informed us that GGNRA was putting up temporary barriers along the path on the north side of the alpaca ranch as it appears that parents were using that path to circumvent traffic at the school. as you can read below, she says these are temporary barriers until a more permanent solution is implemented. in subsequent emails, it was discussed that GGNRA is also aware that there have also been issues with inconsiderate and destructive four wheeling in the area as well. they will be seeking a solution to this issue too.

it was clearly offered that if GGNRA was seeking any input, suggestions, or feedback to their plans that our group would be willing to provide that assistance.

since that original email, several other issues have been raised, including:

- suggestion of putting in a remove-able car barrier on LeConte, similar to the one at the top of Old San Pedro Road
- the terrible condition of the road right in front of the school
- paving, adding parking and a turnaround
- a clarification that our groups original resistance to any improvements to LeConte were tied to the belief that the improvements were part of a plan to make LeConte a destination trailhead
- dumping, homeless camps, pot smoking teenagers. I walk that path every day and don't think there is an issue with broken bottles, have never seen a homeless camp there, and have observed two substantial incidents of dumping since GGNRA took possession. in both dumping cases, the debris was cleaned up by GGNRA within two days of me calling it in. whenever I see kids in their cars smoking pot, I just stop in front of their car and pull out my phone - they drive away, right away.
-  miss spelling of Farallone on several GGNRA signs
- holding another NCCA meeting. perhaps we should. as has been repeatedly demonstrated, I am sure Christina would be willing to attend and listen to both our concerns and suggestions.

finally, disagreements on plans or how the group should proceed have been and should continue to be expected. however, our group has been successful to date because we have debated issues, not people.

thanks for your consideration.

peace-
Ashley

Hi Rancho neighbors

Happy New Year! It's been a little while since we've spoken. I'm writing to you specifically since you have expressed interest in the Montara area of GGNRA adjacent to Alpacas by the Sea and Farallone View School.

We've had increased reports of vehicles driving in the park along the trail behind the fence in order to bypass the school traffic congestion. Our maintenance and roads crews are exploring potential options to stop vehicles from using this as a road, and have some solutions in the works.

In the meantime, we'd like to stop this behavior, and have installed temporary barriers at either end of this trail from Le Conte and from Tamarind. The barriers currently have orange traffic bollards on them to let drivers know not to drive on the trail.

Over time, this temporary solution will change to a more permanent solution and will not include the bright orange traffic bollards but something that naturally blends into the surroundings.

I'm hoping you can spread the word in case neighbors have questions.

Stay tuned for a new newsletter in the next few weeks that will have plenty more updates on GGNRA!

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions.
Have a great day!