Another Celeb Quits - Fred Thompson is Done!

1 view

Ian Freeman

Dec 9, 2010, 7:03:29 PM12/9/10
to Free Talk Live : Industry Edition Newsletter
Why the syndicates keep hiring these Hollywood guys, I don't
understand. It seems like nine times out of ten their show ends up
going down in flames or the host quits due to being bored with their
radio hobby. Whatever the reason, they typically close up shop in no
more than a year or two, leaving affiliates high-and-dry after they
committed a full weekday schedule to the celebrity host and helped the
host build a brand on their call letters and reach.

Free Talk Live doesn't have any celebrity hosts, unless you count Meg
McLain who recently got her 15 minutes when she asked some TSA agents
too many questions and they handcuffed her. However, we do have a
long-running program (syndicated since 2004) run by people who have
dedicated their lives to radio.

Unlike the somniferous Fred Thompson, FTL's open-phones panel
discussion will wake up your nights with our lively discussion of the
issues, from a perspective unheard of in syndicated talk radio.

A longtime FTL Saturday affiliate has already given me a verbal
commitment that they will be replacing Thompson by expanding out FTL
to weeknights! Changes don't get much easier than that. If you're
already airing FTL, just give us a heads-up and copy your Saturday
logs over to weeknights - it's the exact same clock!

Finally, I have confirmed we will be live on Christmas Eve and New
Year's Eve. I'm still working on confirming Christmas Day and New
Year's Day - I'll let you know when I know. It's always my goal to be
live every day we can possibly be live, so if you'd like to give your
local host the night off and still have live content, feel free to
program in FTL special for those two evenings - no agreement
necessary! Just let me know you are doing it so we can welcome your
listeners.

Need a refresher on Free Talk Live? We're available via XDS (Citadel)
and Starguide III live Monday-Saturday from 7-10pm Eastern. Free Talk
Live has been syndicated since 2004 and now has over 84 radio
affiliates from Alaska to Florida and Maine to Hawaii. FTL is
preemptible with no makegoods, plus we're streamable and flexible - so
you can air us whenever and however is best for your station. Visit
our Program Director's website: http://PD.freetalklive.com - there
you'll find full archives, a shortform demo, promos, ratings,
testimonials, our
show clock/satellite info, easy one-page agreement, and more!

Thanks for your consideration,
Ian Freeman
Host, "Free Talk Live"
603-513-2449