FTL @ #11 in the TALKERS Top Radio Shows Remixed by Alexa Ranking :: Affiliate News

Ian Freeman

Jul 14, 2011, 3:20:53 PM7/14/11
to Free Talk Live : Industry Edition Newsletter
I just realized it has been five years since I did my first Alexa re-
ranking of the TALKERS Top Talk Radio Audience chart. You've probably
seen the TALKERS chart many times, but in case you haven't here's the
most current ranking courtesy of TALKERS Magazine: http://talkers.com/online/?p=71
It's the usual suspects: Rush at #1, Hannty #2, Beck & Savage #3, on
down to #12. The list has several ties for audience size, and there
are a total of 34 nationally syndicated talk radio shows included on
it.

Back in 2006, I wondered what that list would look like if ordered by
each show website's Alexa ranking. In case you aren't familiar with
Alexa.com, it's an Amazon company that ranks the world's websites. Go
ahead, punch in your site and see where you (or your station) is
ranked globally (there's also a US rank). It's unscientific, but
still interesting and useful. The lower your number, the better your
rank: (Google is #1, Facebook #2) http://alexa.com

Lots can change on the internet and radio in five years. Some shows
don't exist anymore, and others are no longer on the TALKERS list.
Here's my old re-ranked list from my industry email in 2006: http://bit.ly/n2h0aH
As you can see, Free Talk Live, which does not (and did not in '06)
appear on the TALKERS list at all , ranked at #15 among all the top
talk radio shows from TALKERS' list, making our website more popular
than approximately 50% of the shows on TALKERS' list. That was then.
This is now:

Free Talk Live moves up the remixed list, ranking in this year at
#11. In other words, when compared to the Alexa ranks of the top talk
radio shows according to TALKERS, FTL's website does better than
approximately 68% of those big shows.

Other notable changes between '06 and '11 include Glenn Beck's site
zooming to #1, up from #11. Alan Colmes jumps from #29 to #10.
Boortz drops from #4 to #7. Savage drops from #12 to the very bottom
of the list at #35. (Savage has never had his own proper domain name
or an independent site of his own, that I am aware of. Right now,
visiting his main URL sends you to a lame subdomain at WND.com which
is a much bigger site than Savage alone, so it's not fair to list
their ranking instead of his show URL's.)

Here's the breakdown:

Show Alexa Rank - as of 7/14/11

1. Glenn Beck 5,928
2. Rush Limbaugh 7,659
3. George Noory 8,013
4. Dave Ramsey 13,098
5. Kim Komando 13,161
6. Clark Howard 38,402
7. Neal Boortz 44,785
8. Mark Levin 51,026
9. Sean Hannity 67,290
10. Alan Colmes 77,810
11. Free Talk Live 89,916
12. Hugh Hewitt 108,337
13. Thom Hartmann 109,494
14. Laura Ingraham 114,783
15. Dennis Miller 254,201
16. Dennis Prager 286,169
17. Roger Hedgecock 403,250
18. Don Imus 436,657
19. Stephanie Miller 453,479
20. Lou Dobbs 592,959
21. Michael Medved 604,434
22. Mancow 627,732
23. Bill Handel 676,046
24. Gordon Deal 699,596
25. Lars Larson 809,617
26. Ed Schultz 838,282
27. Jerry Doyle 1,108,559
28. Bill Bennett 1,548,468
29. Rusty Humphries 1,571,759
30. Mike Gallagher 1,663,380
31. G. Gordon Liddy 1,689,798
32. Doug Stephan 1,720,743
33. Jim Bohannon 2,289,014
34. Dr. Joy Browne 2,836,139
35. Michael Savage 10,717,571 (Savage actually doesn't

I thought you might find that interesting.

Also, some affiliate news: Free Talk Live's existing affiliates have
a good habit of adding more FTL whenever they get the chance. They
know that we provide unique, live, entertaining content and we make it
easy to take the show. WFDM FM/AM in Ft. Walton Beach, FL expands to
take our Saturday show live, KSIS AM in Sedalia, MO adds our live
weeknight program in addition to the Saturday show, simulcast WLOE/
WMYN AM in Eden and Mayodan, NC also expand to all six nights live
with the addition of our Saturday show, and finally WWCK AM in Flint,
MI adds some more hours on Sunday via delay broadcast. Our full
affiliate list is always available at http://affiliates.freetalklive.com

Need a refresher on Free Talk Live? We're available via XDS (Citadel)
live Monday-Saturday from 7-10pm Eastern. Free Talk Live has been
syndicated since 2004 and now has over 108 affiliates from coast-to-
coast. FTL is preemptible with no makegoods, plus we're streamable and
flexible - so you can air us whenever and however is best for your
station. Visit our Program Director's website: http://PD.freetalklive.com
- there you'll find full archives, a shortform demo, promos, ratings,
testimonials, our show clock/satellite info, easy one-page agreement,
and more!

As always, please let me know how I may be of assistance,
Ian Freeman
Host, "Free Talk Live"
603-513-2449