True Christian wants to join us :-)

1 view

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 9:07:05 AM5/18/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
I'm taking a vote here. TC has a post in Moderation (a response to Medusa) so it appears that he/she would like to join FTAA.

However, FTAA is advertised as an exclusively atheist group.

Now, in my opinion, TC is most likely one of the most brilliant parodies on the Internet of a fundamentalist Christian.

Given that, I'm considering letting him/her join.

Of course, since he/she *is* so brilliant, we can't be entirely sure that Poe's Law is being applied here.

So, what do people think?

Should we let True Christian in? :-)

--
“You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates the same people you do.” --Annie Lamott (paraphrased)

Multiverse

May 18, 2009, 9:52:37 AM5/18/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
I would say NO.

TC does not claim to be an atheist, or a free thinker and responds
like a troll regardless. He is another one I COMPLETELY ignore
because of the absurdities of his posts and it's useless to EVER
respond except for a laugh. Perhaps I am missing something lately.

So if like you say, Poe's law applies, then he would be blowing his
cover, which does not seem to make sense.

Now if TC wants to admit that all that is just a parody then fine. I
would expect him to say that and engage in discussion here on a
totally different level.

Since that would be a side no one has seen, that could be interesting.

But unless he is willing to claim that he is an atheist, he should not
be allowed in.

I mean why call this an atheist site and advertise theists not welcome
and then turn around and let him in?

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 9:56:21 AM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Multiverse <cut...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

I would say NO.

TC does not claim to be an atheist, or a free thinker and responds
like a troll regardless.  He is another one I COMPLETELY ignore
because of the absurdities of his posts and it's useless to EVER
respond except for a laugh.  Perhaps I am missing something lately.

So if like you say, Poe's law applies, then he would be blowing his
cover, which does not seem to make sense.

Now if TC wants to admit that all that is just a parody then fine.  I
would expect him to say that and engage in discussion here on a
totally different level.

Since that would be a side no one has seen, that could be interesting.

But unless he is willing to claim that he is an atheist, he should not
be allowed in.

I mean why call this an atheist site and advertise theists not welcome
and then turn around and let him in?

Some good points there MV which I agree with :-)

So, TC. If you're reading this. Are you willing to come out of the closet so to speak?

On May 18, 9:07 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm taking a vote here. TC has a post in Moderation (a response to Medusa)
> so it appears that he/she would like to join FTAA.
>
> However, FTAA is advertised as an exclusively atheist group.
>
> Now, in my opinion, TC is most likely one of the most brilliant parodies on
> the Internet of a fundamentalist Christian.
>
> Given that, I'm considering letting him/her join.
>
> Of course, since he/she *is* so brilliant, we can't be entirely sure that
> Poe's Law is being applied here.
>
> So, what do people think?
>
> Should we let True Christian in? :-)
>
> --
> “You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns
> out that God hates the same people you do.” --Annie Lamott (paraphrased)

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 9:57:44 AM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
TC. You could always join us under another alias to maintain your Poe cover :-)

grisha

May 18, 2009, 10:52:06 AM5/18/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
I support MV. There are "mix company" groups.

On May 18, 6:57 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> TC. You could always join us under another alias to maintain your Poe cover
> :-)

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 11:03:11 AM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM, grisha <gralm...@gmail.com> wrote:

I support MV.  There are "mix company" groups.

Just to clear up any possible confusion.

I believe that TC may be parodying Christians and not actually be one which is why I'm considering him for membership.

MVs point is that if that is the case, TC should admit that to us before we allow him/her to join.

I agree with that and would be happy to have him/her join if he/she admits to doing a parody.

That way we could be certain that he/she is an atheist and belongs in this group.

Otherwise we are an exclusively atheist group, and happy to debate theists on the Atheism versus Christianity group but not here.

Drafterman

May 18, 2009, 12:24:33 PM5/18/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
On May 18, 9:07 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm taking a vote here. TC has a post in Moderation (a response to Medusa)
> so it appears that he/she would like to join FTAA.
>
> However, FTAA is advertised as an exclusively atheist group.

Right. So exactly what is there to vote on?

> Now, in my opinion, TC is most likely one of the most brilliant parodies on
> the Internet of a fundamentalist Christian.

Poe's law prevents any sort of ability to distinguish from paraody and
extremism.

> Given that, I'm considering letting him/her join.
>
> Of course, since he/she *is* so brilliant, we can't be entirely sure that
> Poe's Law is being applied here.

Case in point.

> So, what do people think?
>
> Should we let True Christian in? :-)

If TC comes out that it's act is a parody and that parody is left at
the door here then sure.

Drafterman

May 18, 2009, 12:25:36 PM5/18/09
On May 18, 11:03 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM, grisha <gralmgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I support MV.  There are "mix company" groups.
>
> Just to clear up any possible confusion.
>
> I believe that TC may be parodying Christians and not actually be one which
> is why I'm considering him for membership.
>
> MVs point is that if that is the case, TC should admit that to us before we
> allow him/her to join.
>
> I agree with that and would be happy to have him/her join if he/she admits
> to doing a parody.

I think it needs to go one step further and that the parody does not
continue on this site.
> out that God hates the same people you do.” --Annie Lamott (paraphrased)- Hide quoted text -

Multiverse

May 18, 2009, 12:41:04 PM5/18/09

On May 18, 12:25 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 11:03 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM, grisha <gralmgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I support MV.  There are "mix company" groups.
>
> > Just to clear up any possible confusion.
>
> > I believe that TC may be parodying Christians and not actually be one which
> > is why I'm considering him for membership.
>
> > MVs point is that if that is the case, TC should admit that to us before we
> > allow him/her to join.
>
> > I agree with that and would be happy to have him/her join if he/she admits
> > to doing a parody.
>
> I think it needs to go one step further and that the parody does not
> continue on this site.

Yea I just kinda figured that was a gimmee.

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 1:17:52 PM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Drafterman <draft...@gmail.com> wrote:

On May 18, 11:03 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM, grisha <gralmgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I support MV.  There are "mix company" groups.
>
> Just to clear up any possible confusion.
>
> I believe that TC may be parodying Christians and not actually be one which
> is why I'm considering him for membership.
>
> MVs point is that if that is the case, TC should admit that to us before we
> allow him/her to join.
>
> I agree with that and would be happy to have him/her join if he/she admits
> to doing a parody.

I think it needs to go one step further and that the parody does not
continue on this site.

Yes Good point. I agree with that as well since the point of allowing him/her to join would be engage in actual discussion with them.

We can read the parodies on AvC.

We don't need to read them here too.

Drafterman

May 18, 2009, 5:11:33 PM5/18/09
On May 18, 12:41 pm, Multiverse <cuta...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> On May 18, 12:25 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Just to clear up any possible confusion.
>
> > > I believe that TC may be parodying Christians and not actually be one which
> > > is why I'm considering him for membership.
>
> > > MVs point is that if that is the case, TC should admit that to us before we
> > > allow him/her to join.
>
> > > I agree with that and would be happy to have him/her join if he/she admits
> > > to doing a parody.
>
> > I think it needs to go one step further and that the parody does not
> > continue on this site.
>
> Yea I just kinda figured that was a gimmee.

If it's a parody then TC is pretty devoted to it. Publicly acting
"normal" might shatter that image on AvC.

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 5:30:06 PM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Drafterman <draft...@gmail.com> wrote:

On May 18, 12:41 pm, Multiverse <cuta...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> On May 18, 12:25 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Just to clear up any possible confusion.
>
> > > I believe that TC may be parodying Christians and not actually be one which
> > > is why I'm considering him for membership.
>
> > > MVs point is that if that is the case, TC should admit that to us before we
> > > allow him/her to join.
>
> > > I agree with that and would be happy to have him/her join if he/she admits
> > > to doing a parody.
>
> > I think it needs to go one step further and that the parody does not
> > continue on this site.
>
> Yea I just kinda figured that was a gimmee.

If it's a parody then TC is pretty devoted to it. Publicly acting
"normal" might shatter that image on AvC.

Check out the site TC put as a reference in one of his/her posts:

http://www.paliban.org/

The only indication that it *might* be a parody is the name "Paliban".

If it's a parody it's brilliant because other than the name, which frankly I can't see a fundamentalist using for a site, it's unbelievably accurate. Lol.

Medusa

May 18, 2009, 6:00:11 PM5/18/09

On May 18, 12:17 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think it needs to go one step further and that the parody does not
> > continue on this site.
>
> Yes Good point. I agree with that as well since the point of allowing
> him/her to join would be engage in actual discussion with them.
>
> We can read the parodies on AvC.
>
> We don't need to read them here too.

I agree.

Also, I am not certain that TC is writing parodies.

Medusa

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 6:07:35 PM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com

Did you check out the Paligan.org site?

That's kind of my clue.

I admit it's very hard to tell. It took me a very long time before I got to the point where I believed it.

At any rate, that's the main reason why we need him to come clean if he is :-).

Medusa

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 6:08:13 PM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
Ooops that should be Paliban.org.

LL

May 18, 2009, 7:49:28 PM5/18/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
TC hasn't said anything worthwhile on A v C, so I think the answer is
obvious.

LL

grisha

May 18, 2009, 10:11:32 PM5/18/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Do anybody know what happened on AvC? Looks like membership is messed
up? I could not reply, but seemed still to be a member.

Trance Gemini

May 18, 2009, 10:13:38 PM5/18/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:11 PM, grisha <gralm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Do anybody know what happened on AvC?  Looks like membership is messed
up?  I could not reply, but seemed still to be a member.

Hi Grisha,

For some reason Google has designated us as a Spam site, possibly in response to a complaint, but we don't know for sure.

We are trying to get Google to re-evaluate asap and get us going live again.

Hopefully that will happen soon.

You will be able to access the site but will not be able to Post until they remove the Spam designation.

dali_70

May 19, 2009, 7:59:11 AM5/19/09
On May 18, 10:13 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason Google has designated us as a Spam site, possibly in
> response to a complaint, but we don't know for sure.
>
> We are trying to get Google to re-evaluate asap and get us going live again.
>
> Hopefully that will happen soon.
>
> You will be able to access the site but will not be able to Post until they
> remove the Spam designation.

I just posted a new topic, so maybe its working again.

Multiverse

May 19, 2009, 10:04:58 AM5/19/09

On May 18, 5:11 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 12:41 pm, Multiverse <cuta...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> > > I think it needs to go one step further and that the parody does not
> > > continue on this site.
>
> > Yea I just kinda figured that was a gimmee.
>
> If it's a parody then TC is pretty devoted to it. Publicly acting
> "normal" might shatter that image on AvC.

Wow! Can you just imagine the ensuing chaos? LOL.

Multiverse

May 19, 2009, 10:16:14 AM5/19/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Trance I am going to go with your approximation as being at best an
approximation of the parody intent of TC. I'd prefer to watch lime
green paint dry in a brightly lit room over undertaking a lengthy
reading of TC stuff.

On May 18, 6:08 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ooops that should be Paliban.org.
>
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> I agree.
>
> >> Also, I am not certain that TC is writing parodies.
>
> > Did you check out the Paligan.org site?
>
> > That's kind of my clue.
>
> > I admit it's very hard to tell. It took me a very long time before I got to
> > the point where I believed it.
>
> > At any rate, that's the main reason why we need him to come clean if he is
> > :-).
>
> >> Medusa
>
> > --
> > “You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns
> > out that God hates the same people you do.” --Annie Lamott (paraphrased)
>
> --
> “You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns

Drafterman

May 19, 2009, 2:07:53 PM5/19/09
On May 19, 10:04 am, Multiverse <cuta...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> On May 18, 5:11 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yea I just kinda figured that was a gimmee.
>
> > If it's a parody then TC is pretty devoted to it. Publicly acting
> > "normal" might shatter that image on AvC.
>
> Wow!  Can you just imagine the ensuing chaos?  LOL.

I'm not sure that anyone (theist or atheist) cares about his or her
posts. TC cares, apparently.

Trance, how did this request to join come in? Have you spoken to TC,
what's the response?

Trance Gemini

May 19, 2009, 2:31:30 PM5/19/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com

His/her post is sitting in Moderation. I wanted to get feedback from you guys before I did anything.

I'll reject the post and send a rejection message telling TC if he's a Poe and wants to out himself he'll be welcome to join.

If not, theists are excluded from this group but since most of us are members of  AvC he can rest assured we'll have access to his posts :-)

Drafterman

May 19, 2009, 2:36:22 PM5/19/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Does said post fit in with his current posting style? I'm actually
curious as to what it says.

dead kennedy

May 20, 2009, 11:02:49 AM5/20/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
i have just checked the site after looking up poe (thanx for the heads-
up btw) and if he is a poe, he is the absolute pinicle of poe that a
poe could be!

Poes law squared.

Trance Gemini