best response to Pascal's Wager ...

1 view

Symbiosis

Jun 9, 2009, 2:27:44 PM6/9/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
what's yours? I have given up on belief-as-insurance policy, because
most fundies are too stupid to see it.

How about this one?

"If what we're talking about is basically an insurance policy against
offending your deity, why not take the precaution of also appeasing
Zeus by slaughtering goats or Odin by sacrificing humans. Just in
case."

Trance Gemini

Jun 9, 2009, 2:33:28 PM6/9/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
And, what if you pick the wrong god and it's really one of the other ones that exist?
--
“You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates the same people you do.” --Annie Lamott (paraphrased)

kenandkids

Jun 9, 2009, 4:04:42 PM6/9/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
i've always simply stated that i wouldn't wish to offend allah by
praying to christ. the response is always that allah is false and to
that i say: "what? no insurance?"

dali_70

Jun 9, 2009, 6:49:31 PM6/9/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
How about:

Unless your wrong and Thor nails your ass to a chunk of wood with his
magical hammer. ;)

Rupert

Jun 9, 2009, 9:49:48 PM6/9/09
to Freethinkers and atheists

Trance Gemini

Jun 9, 2009, 10:20:42 PM6/9/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com

Very nice. This is the first time I've seen this.

Greywolf

Jun 10, 2009, 8:47:21 AM6/10/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Evil exists. If there exists a God who created everything 'seen and
unseen' in the universe, He/It is evil. [Greywolf''s Dictum: There can
be no greater evil than the Creator of evil.] Contradicts what we've
been 'taught' God is supposed to be all about.

If one want's to wager such a God exists, go ahead. But I would guess
that individual wouldn't be all that happy about it. *And", one would
hope, not 'worship' and 'adore' the thing!

*Now* who's happy to be an atheist?!

On Jun 9, 1:33 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And, what if you pick the wrong god and it's really one of the other ones
> that exist?

Trance Gemini

Jun 10, 2009, 8:50:48 AM6/10/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Greywolf <grey...@cybrzn.com> wrote:

Evil exists. If there exists a God who created everything 'seen and
unseen' in the universe, He/It is evil. [Greywolf''s Dictum: There can
be no greater evil than the Creator of evil.] Contradicts what we've
been 'taught' God is supposed to be all about.

If one want's to wager such a God exists, go ahead. But I would guess
that individual wouldn't be all that happy about it. *And", one would
hope, not 'worship' and 'adore' the thing!

*Now* who's happy to be an atheist?!

You'll love the Atheists' Wager that Rupert posted :-)

I've always been an atheist. No theist conversion here.

So, Pascal's Wager has always been irrelevant to me. Lol.

Mainly because I don't care if there's a god and if there is one I wouldn't worship it anyway.

On Jun 9, 1:33 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And, what if you pick the wrong god and it's really one of the other ones
> that exist?
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Symbiosis <symbiosis1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > what's yours? I have given up on belief-as-insurance policy, because
> > most fundies are too stupid to see it.
>
> > How about this one?
>
> > "If what we're talking about is basically an insurance policy against
> > offending your deity, why not take the precaution of also appeasing
> > Zeus by slaughtering goats or Odin by sacrificing humans. Just in
> > case."
>
> --
> “You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns
> out that God hates the same people you do.” --Annie Lamott (paraphrased)

Greywolf

Jun 10, 2009, 9:42:14 AM6/10/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Perfectly valid point, isn't it?!

Let's hope Zeus doesn't strike the server this message is stored with
a few lighting blolts because of our 'impiety'. And too, that God
that's supposed to be God's Father!

Whew, see what you did? Got me all dizzy.
> > case."- Hide quoted text -

Greywolf

Jun 10, 2009, 9:52:32 AM6/10/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Looook out. I think I feel a lighting bolt coming on from Zeus for not
including His Godness in the mix, Rupert. And maybe one from that God
who's the Father of God, too! (Thor is on vacation, here tell.)

And fundies aren't 'stupid'. They just don't use their brain the way
it's *supposed* to work.

kenandkids

Jun 10, 2009, 1:01:38 PM6/10/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
lmao hahaha

Dev

Jun 11, 2009, 11:31:25 PM6/11/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
The best response to Pascal's Wager has always seemed obvious to me,
and since it's the one that kills it dead most quickly and efficiently
I don't get why it isn't always the first one atheists use: A God that
rewards people for being skeptical and requiring evidence can by no
means be established to be less likely than a God that supports
Religion X. The idea that atheists are the only ones that go to Heaven
is just as likely as the idea that only Catholics/Baptists/Muslims/
Jews go to Heaven. Nobody can provide good evidence to support
otherwise.

The other dozen or so problems with the argument are just icing on the
cake.

Trance Gemini

Jun 12, 2009, 6:53:24 AM6/12/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Dev <thede...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

The best response to Pascal's Wager has always seemed obvious to me,
and since it's the one that kills it dead most quickly and efficiently
I don't get why it isn't always the first one atheists use: A God that
rewards people for being skeptical and requiring evidence can by no
means be established to be less likely than a God that supports
Religion X. The idea that atheists are the only ones that go to Heaven
is just as likely as the idea that only Catholics/Baptists/Muslims/
Jews go to Heaven. Nobody can provide good evidence to support
otherwise.

The other dozen or so problems with the argument are just icing on the
cake.

Why don't you start a thread on that one on AvC?

You could call it "Only Atheists Go To Heaven" ;-)

That'll get the theists going... Lol.

... And it will be a very interesting debate.

On Jun 9, 12:27 pm, Symbiosis <symbiosis1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what's yours? I have given up on belief-as-insurance policy, because
> most fundies are too stupid to see it.
>
> How about this one?
>
> "If what we're talking about is basically an insurance policy against
> offending your deity, why not take the precaution of also appeasing
> Zeus by slaughtering goats or Odin by sacrificing humans. Just in
> case."

grisha

Jun 12, 2009, 7:39:28 PM6/12/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
It works only for a rational person.

grisha

Jun 12, 2009, 7:40:11 PM6/12/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
It may be fun.

Dev

Jun 13, 2009, 1:09:08 AM6/13/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Now, rational people are more vulnerable to reason. Is it ethical to
make those less correct more vulnerable, so the bad guys win every
time?

I don't think so.

I think we need to take a strategy with irrational people that works
equally well with rational people.

How about killing them?

Or should being stupid make you win?

grisha

Jun 13, 2009, 3:51:01 PM6/13/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
You can not talk to the deaf people and hope that will hear. The sad
part is that there is no other way to communicate it to them, at least
I do not know.

Drafterman

Jun 17, 2009, 11:30:00 AM6/17/09
to Freethinkers and atheists

Trance Gemini

Jun 17, 2009, 11:35:20 AM6/17/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
LMAO! Funny :-)

LL

Jun 21, 2009, 5:33:15 AM6/21/09

On Jun 9, 11:33 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And, what if you pick the wrong god and it's really one of the other ones
> that exist?

LL: Especially if the "real" god is as vindictive and cruel as the
Christian one is reputed to be.

LL

Jun 21, 2009, 5:38:39 AM6/21/09

On Jun 9, 7:20 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 10, 2:27 am, Symbiosis <symbiosis1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > what's yours? I have given up on belief-as-insurance policy, because
> > > most fundies are too stupid to see it.
>
> > > How about this one?
>
> > > "If what we're talking about is basically an insurance policy against
> > > offending your deity, why not take the precaution of also appeasing
> > > Zeus by slaughtering goats or Odin by sacrificing humans. Just in
> > > case."
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheist%27s_Wager
>
> Very nice. This is the first time I've seen this.

LL: Me too. I've sent it around to my groups.

******************************

LL

Jun 21, 2009, 5:41:05 AM6/21/09

On Jun 10, 5:47 am, Greywolf <greyw...@cybrzn.com> wrote:
> Evil exists. If there exists a God who created everything 'seen and
> unseen' in the universe, He/It is evil. [Greywolf''s Dictum: There can
> be no greater evil than the Creator of evil.] Contradicts what we've
> been 'taught' God is supposed to be all about.
>
> If one want's to wager such a God exists, go ahead. But I would guess
> that individual wouldn't be all that happy about it. *And", one would
> hope, not 'worship' and 'adore' the thing!

LL:

"Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response sometimes seen in
abducted hostages, in which the hostage shows signs of loyalty to the
hostage-taker, regardless of the danger or risk in which they have
been placed." Wikipedia

************************************

Trance Gemini

Jun 21, 2009, 7:37:51 AM6/21/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 5:33 AM, LL<llp...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 11:33 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And, what if you pick the wrong god and it's really one of the other ones
>> that exist?
>
> LL: Especially if the "real" god is as vindictive and cruel as the
> Christian one is reputed to be.

Exactly.

Greywolf

Jun 30, 2009, 4:02:15 PM6/30/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
LL:

"Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response sometimes seen in
abducted hostages, in which the hostage shows signs of loyalty to the
hostage-taker, regardless of the danger or risk in which they have
been placed." Wikipedia
_________

We humans are a crazy lot, aren't we?

_Greywolf

LL

Jul 25, 2009, 12:56:29 PM7/25/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
LL: I guarantee they won't get it! That's why they're stuck in an
irrational and contradictory religion. It has damaged their minds. It
will take more than a rational statement to get them to actually
think!

Pandeism Fish

Aug 4, 2009, 5:11:17 AM8/4/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
Seen this one? The End of Pascal's Wager: Only Nontheists Go to Heaven
(2002) http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/heaven.html

Trance Gemini

Aug 4, 2009, 9:45:22 AM8/4/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Pandeism Fish <knujon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Seen this one? The End of Pascal's Wager: Only Nontheists Go to Heaven
(2002) http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/heaven.html

Haha. Nice one.

Welcome to FTAA Pandeism Fish.

I'm going to be keeping you in Moderation temporarily because this is an atheist only site.

I think your basically a deist and we'll probably need to discuss whether we want to include deists here.

I know that Freethinkers can be deist so I'll start a thread on this and allow you to participate under moderation so you can have your say as well.

We normally don't allow theists to join.

Thanks for retaining your alias and joining us honestly.

That's works hugely in your favor.