If the internet shut down would atheism cease to be a movement?

uncleryles (owner)

Oct 11, 2009, 11:08:44 PM10/11/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
The question is in the header

Drafterman

Oct 12, 2009, 7:43:22 AM10/12/09
to Freethinkers and atheists
On Oct 11, 11:08 pm, "uncleryles (owner)" <unclery...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> The question is in the header

Atheism isn't a "movement". Yes, there are movements that are
atheistic, but that is different.

And the answer to the question is "No":

American Atheists, founded 1963.
Atheist Centre, founded 1940.
Atheist Foundation of Australia, founded 1970.
Freedom From Religion Foundation, founded 1978.
Humanist Canada, founded 1968.
International League of non-religious and atheists, founded 1976.
National Secular Society, founded 1866.
Norwegian Heathen Society, founded 1974.

Silts

Oct 12, 2009, 4:54:07 AM10/12/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
Probably not cease but only slow down and perhaps would eventually remain only to the intelligent few  : )

Trance Gemini

Oct 12, 2009, 9:06:14 AM10/12/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Silts <sil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Probably not cease but only slow down and perhaps would eventually remain only to the intelligent few  : )

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Before Hitler destroyed the "godless" movement in Germany the FreeThinkers were 500,000 strong.

That's small given the population of Germany but given the fact there was no major mass communication at the time it was pretty big.

We, the godless have existed for as long as humanity has :-)

Carvaka 651BCE.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM, uncleryles (owner) <uncle...@gmail.com> wrote:

The question is in the header

BAAWA Knight Applicant
EAC Disciplinary Committee
Leather Teddy/CatONineTails Disciplinary Squad Leader
EAC Knightette
Agent 000777136669854321.  Mange Inciter. Special Services.
EAC Department of Linquistic Subversion.
Evil Anagrams Division.

Silts

Oct 12, 2009, 11:56:18 PM10/12/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
how could I failed to consider that...silly me : ) Perhaps I was just so fixated on the estimated overall 7 billion world population compared to let say 1-5 M real atheist in number. Nevertheless, amen to "we, the godless have existed for as long as humanity has " : )

Trance Gemini

Oct 13, 2009, 12:45:23 AM10/13/09
to FT...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Silts <sil...@gmail.com> wrote:
how could I failed to consider that...silly me : ) Perhaps I was just so fixated on the estimated overall 7 billion world population compared to let say 1-5 M real atheist in number. Nevertheless, amen to "we, the godless have existed for as long as humanity has " : )

Just a number... :-)