Perth Organic Gardeners' events

Jane Arnold

Jan 8, 2016, 3:11:52 PM1/8/16
to je_a...@yahoo.com
An email from Perth Organic Gardeners (POG), but anyone would be able to join in.
Jane

Firstly, a Happy New Year to you all. I hope you all enjoyed the festive season.

Secondly, the next meeting of POG will be at Vida's, The Old Smiddy/Kinclaven By, Perth PH1 4QJ, 7.30 to 9.30pm on Wednesday 20 January. The event will take the form of a general discussion on successes of the last year in the garden and looking forward to the forthcoming season. Details of directions etc will be sent shortly.

Thirdly, the following notice has been received for fellow member Gerben regarding activities in Newburgh:

This year the Newburgh Orchard Group (NOG) again will organise a number of grafting and pruning classes, starting with a Apple Winter Grafting class on Saturday 27 February.

The grafting class will take place at Buitle Gardens, Auchtermuchty and starts at 2pm and is expected to last 2 hours. The course will take place indoors, but as this will be in an 18c barn we recommend that you dress warmly. Coffee/tea and homemade cake will be supplied free of charge.

The grafting class will be given by Gerben de Vries.

For this class we have to charge £10.- to cover costs of material. Each participent will receive (to be taken home) two apple root stocks plus containers ready for planting. Grafting tape, grafting wax, bamboo supports, potting soil, and labels will all be provided - grafting knives will be available as well as any other necessary tool, although please bring a pair of, clean, secateurs if you can (a small number of secateurs will be provided by the NOG).

Grafting material, i.e. scions of the apple cultivars to be grafted, will also be provided, although you are of course free to bring your own (instructions and detailed location info will be sent on registration). There will be a sufficient variety of cultivars to make a selection.

In case of sufficient demand a SECOND class may take place on Sunday 6 March from 2pm. No further public grafting classes are scheduled this year.

To allow us to better plan the event and to send detailed joining instructions, we require you to register via (return) e-mail (nogsecr...@gmail.com) or phone (01337 82 89 56) before(!) the 21st of February.

best regards,

Gerben de Vries
Secretary Newburgh Orchard Group

Finally: you're also invited to the talk "Growing Fruit in a Forest", 21st January 2016, at the Auchtermuchty community centre, 7:30-8:30pm; speaker Gerben de Vries; entry free for members of the Auchtermuchty Garden Club, non-members £2.00 (incl. coffee/tea/biscuit).