police crackdown on bicyclists on pavements

Jane Arnold

Sep 19, 2015, 7:31:49 AM9/19/15
to je_a...@yahoo.com
I noted in the news that police in Inverness are going to crack down on cyclists on the pavement:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34293707

Now I never cycle on the inner city streets - who would? However I couldn't do my bike ride from North Kessock by not going on the paths. The official cycle route going round by the sea front is just too busy as is Henderson Road and Longman Road.
The thing that really inconveniences me, as both a cyclist and a pedestrian, is cars that I am finding, more and more, are parking on pavements - this is a remarkably infrequently enforced law.
Anyway, I don't think it does any harm to make police and councillors aware of the existence of cyclists and pedestrians and also that it might actually be a good idea to prioritise them in Inverness so I've emailed the police about it and if you want to to, you'll find an address on this page:
http://www.scotland.police.uk/contact-us/

Jane Arnold

Anne Thomas

Sep 19, 2015, 12:40:50 PM9/19/15
to FO...@googlegroups.com
I generally find that the sea front is OK, though if I'm running late for the train I will go more directly. I'm OK about going round most roundabouts but do sometimes become a pedestrian if I don't like it. There are some routes which are not shared use which should be and many people are treating as such. Some roads are ambiguous, like the bit towards the Cathedral which on the map and in signs say it is two way for cyclists but now they've changed the road layout there is nowhere to go except on the pavement.

I think we should particularly challenge them to make the Longman Rd shared use. It's wide enough particularly now it is a 30mph zone

Anne Thomas
Highlands and Islands Green Party Issues Campaigns Co-ordinator,
Drumsmittal Park,
Drumsmittal
North Kessock
IV1 3XF
01463731303
07775583749

Jane Arnold

Jane Arnold

Sep 20, 2015, 12:18:26 AM9/20/15
to FO...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry Anne, but since the free turn for people heading south on the A9 was introduced I've found Henderson Rd and the road around the waterfront have become too busy to share. The roads are very narrow which makes it worse and the same applies to Longman Road.
For 6 years I regularly took a taxi along Longman Road and the drivers universally cursed any cyclist sharing the road with them and I completely understood. There is no space.
I hope we are all agreed that we need to keep up pressure for improved conditions for cyclists within Inverness.
I've just reread Anne's email and am not sure I've picked up correctly what she means by 'shared use' with respect to Longman Rd.
all the best from Jane

Subject: Re: [FoEIR:837] police crackdown on bicyclists on pavements
To: FO...@googlegroups.com
Date: Saturday, 19 September, 2015, 17:40