Fwd: Inverness Climate March

1 view

Anne Thomas

Nov 25, 2015, 1:43:49 PM11/25/15

Dear All

Please join our Inverness Climate March on Sunday at 2pm

You can sign up here to give us a rough idea of numbers.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/event/globalclimatemarch/Inverness_Climate_March

The event will include an ark to symbolise the need for the world to be saved from the effects of climate change so there's an opportunity to get creative and make a small paper person to go in it.

(5-10cm tall)

More details here

Inverness Climate March 2pm 29th November

The French government has just announced that with security still a major concern in Paris, the massive climate march there on November 29th has been cancelled, which is heart-breaking for the thousand already traumatised local volunteer organisers[i]. However there are over 2000 events worldwide as including marches in Edinburgh on 28th November and Inverness on 29th November as part of the worldwide days of action[ii]. John Finnie, MSP. Drew Hendry MP will speak at the start.

Over 100 people attended last year's Inverness Climate March and this year promised to be bigger and better with rumours of polar bears, green ribbons, marching gardeners and cyclists. The Inverness march on Sunday will start at 2 pm outside Velocity Bicycle Cafe which has been leading the way in promoting cycling in the area. It will proceed along the High St and the riverside to a new community garden site in South Kessock where the turf will be cut and  and Isla O'Reilly of the Greens will speak. The global network of events is organised by campaign groups Avaaz and Stop Climate Chaos and local environmental groups such as Transition Black Isle, Merkinch Allotment Society and the Highlands and Islands branch of the Scottish Green Party.[iii] The event will also feature an ark representing the need for a global plan to rescue us from rising waters caused  by climate change, polar bears whose habitat is melting and green ribbons to be worn throughout the summit period.

"The biggest global climate summit of the decade is going ahead in Paris the day after the march" says one of the organisers, Anne Thomas. "The action planned aims to show the global outcry to cut carbon pollution to safer levels to reduce global warming. Though the UK was giving a strong lead in the move from fossil fuels, many recent decisions have foolishly set the course back towards more dependence on them at the same time as a report suggests that not only are renewables cutting pollution and providing income to vulnerable communities in Scotland, they are actually keeping the wholesale cost of electricity down[iv]. We could cut carbon pollution significantly by much more ambitious insulation and renewable technologies particularly on all new buildings, more cycling and public transport and persuading people to grow and eat more local food".

"The goal is still to mobilize the largest climate change march in history. Paris was the biggest march planned, but the attacks there made it impossible. Once again, the actions of the few threaten the welfare of us all. But communities across the globe are rising to this moment with local action".

"The fight to stop catastrophic climate change is not just about stopping a few more storms or a bit of sea rise. Scientists are screaming from rooftops that we are playing with uncontrollable tipping points and feedback loops in our fragile biosphere that could cause rapid, out of control climate change -- the kind that could mean the end of the human journey. How strangely fitting that our greatest moment of rallying to save ourselves, the divisive and violent forces of our past would rise to try to take this moment from us but we aim to show who we are, and rise to this moment, with all the love and hope we know we're capable. For the sake of everything we love". [v]