Phoenix Rising Conference Ed. Pt I - Treatment

1 view

Cort Johnson

May 21, 2009, 3:38:35 PM5/21/09
to cort johnson

Hi, welcome to the March (yes March) issue of Phoenix Rising on the IACFS/ME Conference in Reno Part I

(Part II of Dr. Friedberg's interview will appear later as I build up some sections of the website that expand on his ideas. The complete interview will be posted after the conference review.

Conference attendance was, not surprisingly, given the economic circumstances down from the Florida conference with several familiar faces  missing (and some new ones showing up). While the breadth of the conference was diminished somewhat the researchers there dug deeper into important issues. The repeat exercise studies first showed up at the last conference and researchers have jumped on them quickly in the last two years and we learned more about them. There was one 'shocker', a stirring call for a the field to re-invent itself, and most impressively we got  an in-depth look at the work of the Whittemore-Peterson Institute.

The first sections deal with treatment presentations;

Part 1: Lifestyle management, stress reduction, CBT and something new  - covered a gamut of  issues including Dr. Jason's startling study on the importance of envelope techniques are, why some patients can't benefit from behavioral techniques, several  indications that CBT's time is the sun may be fading, and studies on several new techniques.

Part 2: Physiological Approaches  - contained several intriguing study's on the efficacy of a (relatively) new sleep medication - Zyrem, the immunomodulator Isoprinosine, an antiviral herb Dr Chia is interested in from China, Dr. Cheney's new protocols and more.

Coming up soon we'll get into the heart of the conference with a close look at a scad of repeat exercise study results, the 'Shocker' of  the conference, Dr. Vernon's stirring vision of the ME/CFS research field and a special section on what the Whittemore Peterson Institute is doing.

--
Cort Johnson
--

Phoenix Rising  - An ME/CFS Website at