Phoenix Rising: 'Cracking the Foundations' : A New Dawn For ME/CFS?

Cort Johnson

Feb 26, 2009, 12:13:09 PM2/26/09
to cort johnson

Welcome to 'Cracking the Foundations' a special edition of Phoenix Rising. If you read one edition of Phoenix Rising all year I suggest that you read this one.  How might the Lab  'crack' the foundations of this disease? By obliterating the idea that ME/CFS is an obscure difficult to understand disease that's not amenable to analysis using our current techniques.

The Pacific Fatigue Lab is doing this by using ordinary, well-accepted medical tests (done slightly differently) to demonstrate unique abnormalities in ME/CFS patients. Every doctor is familiar with these tests, every hospital has the equipment. If their work holds up it will be an astounding achievement - possibly even a new dawn for this disease's sufferers. Are there 'ifs', and 'buts'?  Yes, there are - there always are - but the possibilities are great.

If you think the work is valuable please drop the University of the Pacifc administrators a short e-mail thanking them for their support -  a very rare thing in academia.  Their e-mail addresses are supplied in the newsletter.

Check 'Cracking the  Foundations' out at  http://aboutmecfs.org/News/PRJan09Pacific.aspx. There's also a link to a PDF file on the page; simply click it and you can download a clean copy of the newsletter.  It's a new home for Phoenix Rising and a new website - still tweaky - but  mostly functioning. The website will continue to change over the forseeable future as new features are added.

Last month I asked for people with database experience and the results exceeded my expectations. (Thank you AK!). Phoenix Rising will, by hook or crook, attain non-profit status this year. If anyone with experience at that can provide some tips  I would love to hear from them. (phoen...@gmail.com)

Next up - a two part interview with Dr. Friedberg on treating ME/CFS.

Yours truly,

--
Cort Johnson

Phoenix Rising  - An ME/CFS Website at Phoenix-cfs.org