Re: Phoenix Rising: Dr. Friedberg Interview: Living Skillfully to Impact CFS/ the Singh XMRV Patent Findings/Exercise Testing at the Pacific Fatigue Lab

Cort Johnson

Nov 28, 2010, 2:53:25 AM11/28/10
to cort johnson

Dr. Friedberg is an intriguing figure; a psychologist questions the effectiveness of CBT and who, as President of the IACFS/ME, has taken the CDC to task for beginning CBT trials yet someone who is also believes that pacing and 'stress management' can pay real dividends for  some people with ME/CFS.

In this long interview he talks about the differences he sees between people with ME/CFS and FM, men and women with ME/CFS, the importance, in the absence of a cure of accepting 'half a loaf and creating joy and pleasure, how improved health does not necessarily result in increased activity, why the cognitive in CBT may be over-emphasized, what he has done as a person with CFS that has helped and more. I published the first part of his interview in 2009 but recently I realized, that I 'd never published the second half of it -which was easily the most interesting part, so here is the interview, for the first time, in full. Please note it was done  pre-XMRV.

I realize this is not everybody's cup of tea but my guess is that the kinds of practices he refers to probably can be helpful in improving the quality of life of anyone with a chronic illness. Check out
Some big news about XMRV just popped up. Dr. Singh's patent application for XMRV indicates she's found it in 25% of breast cancer samples - a startling finding that should unleash a whole field of inquiry for the pathogen. She's found XMRV in several tissues that perhaps involve other cancers and she's made progress on CFS.

    Make the Turnips Dance - Vote once a day to win Phoenix Rising and another non-profit some money! - The IGIVE video contest is an easy way to get Phoenix Rising and another non-profit some much needed cash. (The other non-profit, which we will vote on, will get 25% of the winnings.) Vote for the PR Turnip video, that's right our turnip video - you'll understand once you see it - once a day to raise some cash. We got started late but we've been rising fast - a couple of more places and we're looking at some real cash. Check it out here - http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/content.php?265-Make-the-Turnips-Dance-Raise-Money-for-Phoenix-Rising!

    On the Forums this week we are blessed by an intriguing series in which Lannie recounts what she learned while doing Repeat Exercising Testing (the Steven's Protocol)  at the Pacific Fatigue Lab. Some may remember the "Cracking the Foundation' newsletter that recounted the PFL's startling findings of a metabolic abnormality unique to ME/CFS that could conceivably underly many of the problems we encounter during exercise. Lanny first recounts the tests she will take, then her experiences taking them and then finally her test results and what they mean. Thanks to Lannie for giving us a close encounter with one of the most intriguing areas of research in ME/CFS.

    Paypal_Donate_Button.gif

    --
    Cort Johnson

    Phoenix Rising  - An ME/CFS Website at http://aboutmecfs.org.