Chicken: The Natural Gas of Food

Laura Cascada

Sep 20, 2021, 4:05:55 AM9/20/21
to FCR...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Better Food Foundation's Director of Corporate Outreach, Katie Cantrell, wrote an important new piece for environmental advocates on the DefaultVeg Medium channel this week called "Chicken: The Natural Gas of Food." Katie explains, "Just as natural gas is only 'clean' when compared to coal, so chicken is only 'environmentally friendly' when compared to beef. The carbon footprint of beef is roughly seven times that of chicken. But the carbon footprint of chicken is 11 times greater than that of lentils."

She further critiques the poultry industry's greenwashing schemes like Mountaire's "One Health Certified" and partnerships with environmental advocates (like between Environmental Defense Fund and Tyson), writing, "By promoting the relative virtues of these 'better than' options, we expand their production, and thus entrench the systems required to produce them."

Please give it some claps, share, and follow our channel! And RTs on Twitter are welcome. Feel free to get in touch if you want to learn more about DefaultVeg or our free consulting program, Greener by Default, where we help institutions and companies meet their sustainability goals by making their menus more plant-forward.

Thanks so much!
Laura

--
Laura Lee Cascada