Extra Passenger seat

Zury Asse

Jan 23, 2009, 3:38:16 PM1/23/09
to E+ Electric Bicycle Forum
Is it possible to adapt an extra passenger seat behind or in front of
the riders seat?
I'm thinking it for my 6 year old daughter to ride with me.

Also, do you think the E+ would pass as a regular bicycle for plane
travel (usually just $50 extra charge) or would they regard it as
something different?

Thanks,
Zury.

Heather Crombie

Jan 24, 2009, 9:35:09 AM1/24/09
to EplusElect...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zury,
It depends on the bike seat you use. I had no problems attaching my
rack to the back of my bike. There are attachement holes on the rear
frame for accessories. I don't know what the standard size is for
accessory holes so I can't advise you there. Perhaps EMS can answer
that question.

I think the issue would be more about how the TSA would respond to an
electric bike rather than the airlines. I'd have no qualms telling
them its a bike. In the past, friends have told the ticket counter
folks their bike box held recreational equipment & no further
questions where asked. I think the ticket counter people care about
the contents if it might be dangerous or exceed weight limits.

Occasionally, my bike box has been opened by the TSA for inspection so
I'd expect the TSA to open it. The question is how they'd respond to
it.. The branding on the bike indicates its electric. I don't know if
they'd want to inspect it further, reject it outright or let it pass.

Heather

Carol Mennucci

Jan 24, 2009, 6:08:46 PM1/24/09
to EplusElect...@googlegroups.com
yes, and what about a basket for my dog and also groceries?  Is there anything like that to make my life easier when running errands.  I have a small dog under 5 lbs.

thanks!

Carol Mennucci
San Francisco, CA
415.474.8846

Heather Crombie

Jan 25, 2009, 5:18:57 PM1/25/09
to EplusElect...@googlegroups.com
I've put many accessories on my bike to make it very easy to run errands. Many of these accessories I simply transferred from my conventional bike to my E+.
1. BobYak trailer. (mine is over 10 years old) I transferred my connection hub from my Mountain Bike to my E+ without any modifications.

I use it for it for trips to the store when I intend to bring something oddly shaped or bulky home. I will use it for work when I want to bring in a large cooler for special food. I even once used it to carry 2 bales of hay....people looked at me & must have thought they were in a 3rd world country! Its also great for camping. I never take the hub off, it stays on so I can easily connect the trailer & go.

2. Detours Town & Country front basket. I use this daily. It carries  groceries from the store or anything that will fit. Its advertised as being capable of carrying a "micropooch" up to 8 pounds. Mine is about 3 years old. Its very convenient with its quickclip attachement, handles & drawstring top. Its very thoughtfully designed & built. No modification was necessary to attach this to my e+ bike.

3. Rack: SunLight Rack with spring clamp. I believe it can support up to 22 lbs. Mine is about 3 years old. I find I'm constantly wedging extraneous things under the spring clamp such as a lunch pack or a "Bundle of Warmth" package of logs from the grocery store for the fireplace. I've had no problems attaching any of my various bags to it. I did have to modify the the rear frame attachment on the left with a longer screw to accomodate  space constraints introduced by the back hub attachement for the E+ motor. It was an easy modification.

4. Bags for shopping & bringing clothing, etc. to & from work:  Basil Mitre Shopping Bags. I use these every day. They're very easy to come on & off the rack, stable,  very water & mud resistant, easy to pack & unpack & pretty. I like them so much that I use one of them off the bike to carry my purse & laptop when I travel.

I've tried lots of other products over the years. These are the ones I've found most usable for my errand running & commuting needs, and they work well on the E+ bike. I have the mountain bike frame.

Hope this helps.

Heather

Carol Mennucci

Jan 26, 2009, 12:59:40 PM1/26/09
to EplusElect...@googlegroups.com
Heather,

You are awesome!  Thanks so much for the great information.  Extremely helpful.

Carol

--
Carol Mennucci
San Francisco, CA