E+ Cruiser goes 21 miles and returns with 75% SOC (State of Charge)

Joe@eBike+

Nov 26, 2008, 1:02:27 PM11/26/08
to E+ Electric Bicycle Forum
Just wanted to share an amazing experience that I had last Saturday. I
took my E+ 750watt Cruiser for a ride all around the town of Newport
on the beautiful Oregon coast. If you have ever been there, you know
that there is a high bridge over the mouth of the Bay, and lots of
hills! Not to mention a fairly stiff breeze blowing from the South
which is typical for the month of November.

My purpose for the ride was to get my exercise for the day and to see
just what the bike would do if I maximized the capabilities of the E+
by using it as a bike (I pedaled and used the gears in a normal
fashion), and by using the highest Regen mode that made sense on all
downhill segments. I used power wherever desired to assist me, but
also pedaled during those times. When I departed I started out with
100% SOC, a fully charged battery.

The results were great! I went up and over the bridge (that most
people on regular bikes either have to walk or go 3 mph when they
pedal) at about 12 mph and could have easily gone faster except for
the 36" sidewalk, 12" drop curb to the highway, and 400' drop to the
water that created a fear factor! Then, the Cruiser took on all of the
hills with ease..even the steep long ones. On those I was in 1st or
2nd gear and feathered in power with the thumb control just enough to
make my work comfortable. When I used the cruise control I set it on
about 12 mph and was usually able to provide enough pedal power to
only have the E+ "help" occasionally thanks to the superb balance and
low CG of the bike that makes it so ridable. Coming back down the
hills I typically was in Regen mode 3-5 and actually watched my SOC %
go up! I also took the Cruiser onto the beach sand (which was flat and
firm from the previous high tide) and really enjoyed riding along the
water's edge. The big tires on the Cruiser did a great job on the sand
and hardly left a track as I rolled along. People just stopped and
stared as I glided by.

Then it was time to head back over the bridge and back to the marina.
When I returned to my starting point the distance recorded was 21
miles, and I still had 75% of battery power left! I rinsed the bike
off with a hose at the dock to wash off a little sand and any salt
from the beach. I had a great time, a good workout, and created my
favorite memory so far with the E+ Cruiser. I'm sure there are many
more to come!

I've got pictures of the ride I can share. Just contact me and I'll
send them to you! Proof positive that even in the winter months it's a
great time to ride an E+!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Joe

Joe@eBike+

Nov 27, 2008, 3:19:11 AM11/27/08
to E+ Electric Bicycle Forum
One of the respondants to this post asked me if washing the E+ causes
any problems. The answer is No, the E+ is designed for rain or shine
use. EMS recommends that you should use a regular garden hose and not
a high pressure nozzle or power washer to do the job. Then, I
recommend wiping the bike down with a soft cloth or towel to avoid
spotting, especially if you are in an area with hard water, as is
common in S. California. Finally, after wiping off the excess water it
is a good idea to apply oil to your chain & gears as typical
preventative care.

Joe
Message has been deleted

Randy May

Nov 27, 2008, 1:18:13 PM11/27/08
to EplusElect...@googlegroups.com
Hay  Joe   Bike  sounds like it's fun to ride,  Send the Pictures you took

Thanks Randy