New forum

Jérôme Daoust

Mar 21, 2009, 2:45:49 AM3/21/09
to E+ Electric Bicycle Forum
The new forum is taking shape:
http://www.epluselectricbike.com/forum/default.asp

I for one will welcome the abandonment of the Google Groups format.
Never liked it because of limited formatting capability (much prefer
the phpBB type forums) and complex (although not impossible) way of
adding attachments.

Looks like the new forum is either based on a phpBB format or at least
allows BBcodes:
http://www.epluselectricbike.com/forum/help.asp#FAQ16
Good choice !

Ron

Mar 21, 2009, 10:44:51 AM3/21/09
to E+ Electric Bicycle Forum
Will this go away then? or is Google going away with the forums...

TFolk

Mar 21, 2009, 10:49:30 AM3/21/09
to E+ Electric Bicycle Forum
We will maintain both, but the new Forum gives us a greater
flexibility.

Cheers,

Tim

Jérôme Daoust

Mar 21, 2009, 12:35:17 PM3/21/09
to E+ Electric Bicycle Forum
Tim Folk wrote:
> We will maintain both, but the new Forum gives us a greater
> flexibility.

Hi Tim, I understand that you are trying to create the least amount of
disturbance possible. But, keeping this forum open will:
1) Confuse new users as to where to join.
2) Have users wonder in which to post new messages.
3) Confuse readers at where to read the latest messages, or force them
to read both.
4) Dilute further an already low traffic.

I have witnessed a few forum transitions, and recommend just biting
the bullet when the new forum is open for business:
a) Lock down the old forum (prevent new posts).
b) Keep old forum in read-only mode so it can be searched for old
discussions.
c) Put a link from the old forum to the new one, so people know where
to go.
d) If some complain, just blame the decision on me.

Regards,
Jerome