Keeping Warm in Cold Weather

1 view

Lauren

Apr 26, 2008, 9:26:03 AM4/26/08
to Engelmann's Syndrome
As i am sure you know, heat and warmth helps to decrease the pain,
plus several of us are fairly little (in both height and weight alike)
so that can also make it very difficult to keep warm, especially in
the colder months of the year.
I received an email from Vera explaining that Hannah gets very cold
when swimming during the summer months and experiences additional pain
afterwards.
The following ideas are just some of the methods I use to stay warm
and subsequently keep the pain to a minimum...

As this message is intended to help the younger members of our tribe
(Hannah, Nathan, etc.), please add as many ideas as you can. Thanks,

Loz

* My parents bought me a child sized surfing wetsuit when I was
young.
I used to wear it in the pool and at the beach. It provided great sun
protection and I didn't have to work as hard at staying afloat. I
could suddenly join my friends and family in the pool or ocean without
enduring extra pain as it kept my core temperature lovely and warm
(even in cold water). This may be a good idea for Hannah.

* I have recently bought some thermal underwear from a snow-ski shop.
They are called "Burton Girls Explorer Fleecy Thermal Pants and Tops".
Burton is a US brand.
These can be worn under my jeans in winter to keep my legs extra warm.
I also purchased the thermal top, and wear it to bed during winter for
extra warmth. If you go to the ski shops at the end of the winter
season you can purchase the thermal underwear for a special price and
not have to pay as much (as they can be rather expensive).

* I have also started to wear 'leg warmers'.
You can buy these from ballet or dance shops and they go all the way
up to your knee. I wear these under my jeans when my lower legs are
hurting. You can also get knee-high wool socks. Some dance shops also
sell 'arm warmers' that go from your wrist to your elbows (great for
when your arms are cold & sore).

*Hot water bottles and/or Wheat Bags (microwaveable) for instantaneous
heat applied to certain areas (eg. lower back, hips, legs, arms,
etc).

* Electric Blankets.

* Hand held or Electrical Massage Mat - it uses heat and vibration to
soothe aching muscles and bones. I place it on a lounge chair and sit
on it for 20 to 30 mins to help relax the muscles in my legs and
back.

* I have also started having ultrasound therapy on my lower back. Its
like a deep tissue massage but without the pain. I find it works
really well in relaxing the muscles. Gentle massage also helps ease
the pain sometimes.

Lauren

Apr 26, 2008, 9:48:58 AM4/26/08
to Engelmann's Syndrome
"Feelin' hot hot hot!" :o)

Originally posted by Christina on Wed, August 29, 2007 - 4:23 AM on
the Tribe CED Website

I agree that wearing thermal underwear adds a bit of extra warmth, but
in the event that you cant get a hold of thermal clothing I find that
wearing a pair of ordinary cotton sports leggings (available in most
clothing stores) under your jeans or trousers has the same effect.
They are close fitting which means that nobody will notice that you
are even wearing them!
Sometimes just adding an extra layer of clothing makes all the
difference too. Or how about buying thick hiking socks to wear
everyday instead of ordinary thin socks.. I find these really good at
keeping my feet warm!
And of course, the best remedy to warm yourself up after being out in
the cold is to curl up with a hot water bottle and have a steaming hot
mug of tea/coffee/hot chocolate! Yum! :o)

Christina