Brittle, falling off insulation, leaving old conductors bare and exposed. Electrician in Toronto and Etobicoke 647-933-8444

electrici...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 11:07:29 AM8/30/16
to electrici...@googlegroups.com, Electrici...@googlegroups.com

If the old wire insulation in your property is brittle, falling off, leaving bare live conductors, this dialog gives details on how to deal with it.

---- Third email from Electrician in Toronto and Etobicoke to a customer ----

Chris,

Just to clarify, I will not come for free to have a look or to give you an estimate. I will charge the rates given below, give options, discuss everything with you. You will decide the scope of work to do.

The insulation is obviously brittle and falling off leaving exposed live conductors. There will be no guarantee/warranty/responsibility of any sort from me for fixing wires in just one box.

I am a Licensed Electrical Contractor and is highly experienced with this particular problem. There are various options of making the old wiring, including cloth covered and Knob and Tube, safer. The best method is complete removal of old and rewiring using modern copper conductors.

More info on old falling off brittle insulation

Thank you. Sam.

647-933-8444

---- Second email from Electrician in Toronto and Etobicoke to the customer ----

Chris

this is a very good and helpful pic!

90% chance its knob and tube wiring

I can not see small details, but think this particular problem could be fixed in 1 or 2 hrs

if bare wire(s) go above the box, than more than 2 hr

and I must tell you that this exact problem could be present in other light boxes and in many other locations,
representing a much higher risk of a short and fire

My partner or I will discuss risks and options with you if you wish

We will call you Sat or Sun and tell the time for Mon

Thank you. Sam.
Electrician in Etobicoke

---- Third email from customer ----

Hi Sam,

Attached are some photos, but I don't know how helpful they will be. There are a lot of cloth wires in the box covered in electrical tape. Let me know what you think and if you will be able to come on Monday to take a look.

Thank you,
Chris

---- Second email from customer ----

Hi Sam,

I need to have the wiring for a light box fixed. When I attempted to change a light fixture in a bedroom, I noticed the cloth covering on the wire had come off exposing the bare conductor. I'm not sure if the entire wiring to the light box needs replaced or if there is an easier fix.

Can you please confirm if you are available on Monday August 15 to take a look? If so, please let me know what time you will arrive.

Thank you,
Chris

---- First email from Electrician in Toronto and Etobicoke ----

Chris,

Thank you.

some old thermostats and their
wiring are not compatible with the modern ones and require running a new wire and work of the HVAC technician. If that is your case we won't be able to help with Installation of the thermostat but can run a new wire

The rest should be straightforward

Could you please send a good pic of your panel?

A minimum service call fee is $160, it includes 1st hr or less of work for very short jobs + $65 per hr after the 1st hr (Mon to Fri. 8 am to 7 pm). You'll pay exactly as much as it takes

You'll pay extra for materials used

Time is counted from the moment of electrician's arrival to the moment of payment. So pls have more than enough cash or certified cheque on hand to avoid expensive delays. If you needed to go to the bank, the job would take more time of my time and more of your money

Sam
Electrician in Etobicoke

---- First email from customer ----

Hi Electrician in Etobicoke,

I'm looking for an electrician to work on a few things in my house and was hoping to have someone come out this week or next week. I live in Etobicoke (near Royal York and Lakeshore), the house is 95 years old but in good condition. I'm looking to have the following addressed:

-       Bedroom light's electrical box contains exposed wires, need to install a light fixture
-       Outdoor electrical outlet isn't working
-       Fix a double tapped breaker
-       Provide inspection and consultation on ungrounded outlets
-       Install a new thermostat

Thank you,
Chris

bare+live+conductors+4.JPG