sizing a DC motor

marcus72

Dec 17, 2006, 9:04:06 PM12/17/06
to Electric Motor Control
Hi,

I am trying to size a DC motor and need some assistance as to how to do
this.
The mechanism I am designing will be a 'drop test rig' for a product of
ours (stress analysis & destructive test). Essentially, it will be two
#80 chains running vertically on sprockets. On the chains there will
attachments that will pick up a "car" (our product bolted to it) which
will run up an I-beam to a pre-set height where the car will disengage
from the chain attachments and drop down and impact on a platform.
I want the chain to be moving relatively slow (24"/sec), however I will
want some control over the speed.
The load it will have to lift will vary between 300 lbs (136 kg) - 600
lbs (272 kg). I assume this would be a motor with a high torque rating.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc Rigollet