Re: VICTORY: We stopped funding for dangerous online voting

oli6...@aol.com

Jan 5, 2022, 2:59:28 PM1/5/22
to con...@freespeechforpeople.org, election...@googlegroups.com, njbes...@gmail.com, nl...@aol.com, thomas...@gmail.com
Dear Susan

What you perceive as a victory is nothing of the kind.

Of course funding "dangerous" on-line voting would be foolish but this is a perjorative judgement about a solution which is yet to be propsed and may be far safer than any voting system currently in use throughout the USA.

Removing funding for reseach and development of on-line voting systems sets back the time when end to end verification will become how most people vote in the future.

Quoting all the authorities you do demonstrates the wholly unscientific basis of their belief.  Of course they are correct to question any voting proposal but to declare that secure on-line voting is impossible is an assertion far beyond anyone's expertise. It is a statement of their prejudice because they lack the creativity to imagine a solution.  It is not the way discoveries and progress is made.

The way forward is to invite anybody to submit proposals for a solution.   Simply removing funding ensures no solution will be found.

The UOCAVA voters are a special case.  They are an ideal set as serving their needs is more challenging than those of domestic voters.  They are unlikely to swing the result of an elections while at the same time offering the opportunity to solve the problem in principle,because they are spread so thinly over multiple jurisdictions.

A more enlightened approach is to fund promising solutions against a set of rigourous criteria, one of which being that the voters own their vote and are able to verify that their vote is counted as cast with private end to end proof that guarantees the privacy and integrity of their vote.

Significantly this requirement exceeds the standard applied to any currently used voting system in the USA.  What could possibly wrong with funding such a development for testing against a set of acceptance criteria which includes the one above?

Advancing the cause of confidence in the US voting system would be valuable especially in these times where scepticism is at an alltime high for those whose candidate is deemed to have lost.  That the Senate voted down efforts to enhance belief in the system is a sign of their lack of interest in finding the solution.

Are you Susan Suniat I met some years ago in Washington?  Merry Christmas and a successful New Year .

Kind regards
Peter Oliver

 ,