*Beyond* Beyond the Final Frontier

Edward M. Lerner

Apr 3, 2012, 9:51:51 PM4/3/12
to Edward M. Lerner news
Hello, Edward M. Lerner reader!

(I'm sorry if you get this notice twice. The first version slipped out
with a placeholder for a blog-post URL. Oops.)

In this note:

* FRONTIERS OF SPACE, TIME, AND THOUGHT
* GRAND (RE)OPENING

=== FRONTIERS OF SPACE, TIME, AND THOUGHT ===

What’s Smaller Than an Atom ... And Larger Than a Universe? My latest
collection, just released.

Frontiers of Space, Time, and Thought brings together more than a
dozen of (what the publisher declares) my most engaging short stories.
It's a grand tour of Big Ideas: from virtual reality to artificial
intelligence to homicidal time-traveling grandchildren to troubled
aliens wondering if *they* are alone. Start by colonizing near-Earth
space -- and end up in the farthest reaches of the multiverse.

But truth can be stranger than fiction -- and I'm not just a writer,
I'm a professional computer engineer and physicist. Six fact articles
have pride of place in this collection, and they pose some Really Big
Questions. How can we protect Earth from asteroids? What will
commercialized spaceflight be like in the post-shuttle era? What will
privacy (or the lack thereof) mean in the Internet age? I lay out the
why, where, and (perhaps the) how of faster-than-light travel; and the
challenges of communicating with (if we encounter them) alien species.
Expanded and updated with the latest information, and with full
references and links to further reading, these essays will likewise
take you to and beyond The Frontiers of Space, Time and Thought.

If you're curious about the book or how it came about, see my latest
blog post:

http://blog.edwardmlerner.com/2012/04/frontiers-of-space-time-and-thought.html

Available in trade paperback and most ebook formats.

=== GRAND (RE)OPENING ===

Slipped in near the end of the previous section is a new home for my
blog. SF and Nonsense now resides at blog.edwardmlerner.com (or, more
precisely, that's the blog's front door. edward-m-lerner.blogspot.com,
the old address, still works (but isn't as easy to remember).

Relocating the blog was part of a much bigger change: a couple weeks
ago my authorial website -- with a fresh new look -- moved to my own
Internet domain. Full details about all my books, my bio, and much,
much more now reside at www.edwardmlerner.com. I blogged a bit about
this move, too, at blog.edwardmlerner.com/2012/03/grand-opening.html

Cheers,

- Ed