Re-Energized (pronounce that "ree" or "ray" -- it works both ways)

Edward M. Lerner

Sep 30, 2014, 11:06:51 AM9/30/14
to Edward-...@googlegroups.com

Hello, Edward M. Lerner reader!

I know -- it's been awhile since I've sent out news. Today I have a lot. In this note:

* RE-ENERGIZED
* SLIGHTLY LARGER SMALL MIRACLES
* FOOLS' EXPERIMENTS
* THE STORY BEHIND THE BOOK

=== RE-ENERGIZED ===

It's been too long coming -- publishers march to their own drummers -- but today my 2012 novel ENERGIZED was finally reissued as a mass-market paperback (and in sync, prices have dropped on the various ebook editions).

About ENERGIZED ...

A miscalculation has tainted the world's major oil fields with radioactivity and plunged the Middle East into chaos. The few countries still able to export oil and natural gas -- Russia chief among them -- have a stranglehold on the global economy.

Then, from the darkness of space, comes Phoebe. Rather than divert the massive asteroid, America captures it into Earth orbit to mine it for materials with which to build enormous solar-power satellites. Cheaply produced in orbit and able to beam vast amounts of power to the ground, these powersats offer America its last, best hope of avoiding servitude and economic ruin.

But special interests, from technophobes to eco-extremists to radio astronomers, want to stop the project. And the remaining petro powers will do *anything* to protect their dominance of world affairs.

NASA engineer Marcus Judson is determined to make the powersat demonstration project a success -- even though nothing in his job description mentions combating an international cabal ... or going into space to do it.

Middle East chaos and Russian power plays: that sounds all too close to the current state of world affairs. But ENERGIZED offers a way out of the energy box in which we find ourselves ...

For more about ENERGIZED, including some of the latest great reviews, check out my blog post at:

http://blog.edwardmlerner.com/2014/09/re-energized.html

ENERGIZED: now in mass-market paperback. Still available in hardback, for Kindle, Nook, and iPhone/iPad, and in several audio formats. Check with your favorite online or brick-and-mortar bookseller.

=== SLIGHTLY LARGER SMALL MIRACLES ===

ENERGIZED is merely my most recent technothriller. SMALL MIRACLES, my 2009 medical-nanotech thriller (2010 in mass-market paperback), had, alas, gone out of print (and electrons). I'm delighted to announce that on or about October 7th publisher Arc Manor will reissue SMALL MIRACLES in trade paperback and ebook formats.

(Puzzling over this section's subject line? Trade paperbacks are physically larger than mass-market paperbacks. Think pages sized like a hardback between cardboard covers like a traditional paperback. But the miracles between those covers remain tiny indeed: medical nanobots no larger than a single blood corpuscle -- though *much* more versatile. And, this being a technothriller, the tiny gadgets come with unanticipated consequences ...)

For more about SMALL MIRACLES, including a few of the many great reviews, check out my 2010 blog post at:

http://blog.edwardmlerner.com/2010/08/real-nanotech-real-medicine-and-zombies.html.

The new print edition, ebook editions, and audio editions will all be available from your favorite online bookseller.

=== FOOLS' EXPERIMENTS ===

We are not alone, and it's our own damn fault ....

FOOLS' EXPERIMENTS, my 2008 novel (2009 in mass-market paperback), has also gone out of print and electrons. Arc Manor will likewise soon be reissuing it -- sorry, I don't yet have a release date to share -- in trade paperback and all major ebook formats.

FOOLS' EXPERIMENTS is a tale of artificial life, artificial intelligence, and (this novel, too, being a technothriller) unanticipated consequences.

For more about FOOLS' EXPERIMENTS, including a few of its many outstanding reviews, check out my 2009 blog post at:

http://blog.edwardmlerner.com/2009/09/fools-experiments-redux.html.

=== THE STORY BEHIND THE BOOK ===

Ever wonder how authors, especially genre authors, come up with their stories? Here's your chance to find inspiration *and* support a worthy cause. Last April, the fine folks at genre website upcoming4.me released their second anthology of authors’ essays about their books, their series, and/or the craft of writing speculative fiction.

Thirty-plus authors contributed essays to the project; all proceeds from sales of the ebook and the print editions are donated to Epilepsy Action (https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/). My contribution to the anthology was "Fate of Worlds -- Forty-two years in the making." That essay gives the back story of the entire Fleet of Worlds series.

For more about this excellent project, see http://upcoming4.me/news/book-news/story-behind-the-book-volume-2-essays-on-writing-speculative-fiction-out-now.

===

And that's it.

- Ed