Edward M. Lerner -- Armageddon, Paradise, and the End of An Era

Edward M. Lerner

May 26, 2010, 10:14:56 AM5/26/10
to Edward M. Lerner news and discussion, edward....@gmail.com
Hello, Edward M. Lerner reader!

You are most likely receiving this note because you've commented about
my science fiction stories. (And yes, I really appreciate those
emails.)

In this note:

* ARMAGEDDON / PARADISE -- something to flip over
* INTERSTELLARNET: ORIGINS -- the interview
* THE END OF AN ERA -- or, at least, newsletters as we've known them

=== ARMAGEDDON / PARADISE ===

A highlight of my youth was bookracks lined with Ace Doubles: two
short science-fiction titles bound back to back. In the spirit of Ace
Doubles, Wildside Books has begun doubling up – and that brings me to
the latest collection of my shorter fiction.

On one side, the short novel COUNTDOWN TO ARMAGEDDON (originally
serialized in Jim Baen's Universe):

Hezbollah has obtained an atomic bomb and a would-be martyr eager to
deliver it -- and that's the good news. The bad news, unknown even to
Hezbollah, is that their physicist has also found a way to take his
new bomb back to a turning point in European history.

Harry Bowen, an American physicist, and Terrence Ambling, a British
agent turned historian, are determined to stop Abdul Faisel and
prevent the nullification of all Western civilization. Their mission
can be accomplished, if at all, only in the darkest of the Dark Ages--

And there, too, time is running out.

The flip side offers a fiction collection headlined by "A Stranger in
Paradise." These novelettes and short stories, running the thematic
gamut from nanotech to the conjuring of demons, first appeared in
Analog, Amazon Shorts, and Jim Baen's Universe.

(The publisher, fine fellow that he is, has offered my readers a 20%
discount. The discount code, good through June 30th, is WILDSIDE20 and
can be used at:

http://www.wildsidebooks.com/Countdown-to-Armageddon-A-Stranger-in-Paradise-by-Edward-M-Lerner-40TPB41_p_4025.html

The code also works for my previous Wildside collection, CREATIVE
DESTRUCTION.)

COUNTDOWN TO ARMAGEDDON / A STRANGER IN PARADISE
Edward M. Lerner
ISBN 1434406741
Coming soon for the Kindle

=== INTERSTELLARNET: ORIGINS -- the interview ===

On May 17th, I made my third "appearance" on radio show Fictional
Frontiers. The topic: my recent novel of first contact,
InterstellarNet: Origins. The interview has been archived at
http://www.fictionalfrontiers.podcastpeople.com/posts/38724 and I show
up about thirty-five minutes into the podcast.

=== ABOUT BOOKSELLERS ===

Readers sometimes comment that their preferred brick-and-mortar
bookseller isn't carrying one of my titles. That's okay: If your
favorite bookseller doesn't stock a book, just ask. Most booksellers
are happy to order titles for their patrons.

=== THE END OF AN ERA ===

As this newsletter has grown in popularity, it has also triggered ever
more spam filters. Lots of anecdotal evidence ("Say, why didn't I hear
about ...?" comments) show that this distribution has become
unreliable and impractical.

So (a moment of silence, please), this will be my last mass-emailed
newsletter.

Anticipating this day, I've set up the Edward M. Lerner Google Group
(aka, a "listserv"). If you opt-in there, you're (almost) assured of
getting future updates. You can sign up -- painlessly, I assure you --
at:

http://groups.google.com/group/Edward-M-Lerner

I hope you do join the list (or subscribe to my blog, at

http://edward-m-lerner.blogspot.com/)

because I have exciting new books in the pipeline later this year, in
2011, and even in 2012.

Best regards – and thanks for your past interest,

- Ed

==============
Edward M. Lerner
Perpetrator of Science Fiction and Technothrillers
Website -- http://www.sfwa.org/members/lerner
Blog -- SF and Nonsense -- http://edward-m-lerner.blogspot.com/

Edward M. Lerner

May 26, 2010, 10:19:26 AM5/26/10
to Edward M. Lerner news and discussion
Oops -- I meant to remove the suggestion, below, that you join the
Google Group -- because you ARE the Google Group.

In contrition, I shall go out and resume mowing the lawn.

- Ed