"HOLLY" comes to Nueva Onda

a. garrison

Sep 6, 2008, 7:50:38 AM9/6/08
to East-Austin-Stor...@googlegroups.com
"HOLLY," the East Austin Story from 2002 about the Holly Street Power plant, will be screened as part of the Nueva Onda Restaurant's Movie Night, September 10!  Nueva Onda is  at 2218 College, just northwest of Oltorf and S. Congress - College runs SW to NE and hits Congress at an angle right there. It'll open at 6:30 p, serve food until 9 (lunch menu only), and serve drinks all night.

Here's their press release.

On Wed., Sept. 10th, the Nueva Onda Movie Nights is bringing you PEOPLE POWER: three selections about community, passion, and empowerment. And, well, the failure of community, in the case of Austin Stories.

We'll be showing:

AUSTIN STORIES, EPISODE 8 - "ROAD TRIP" - If the Seinfeld crew lost their shirts and one major character, they'd be the East Coast version of MTV's legendary "Austin Stories." This critical and ratings hit captures the refreshing zeitgeist of our town circa '97, and you can't buy it or see it anywhere else. This time the crew piles into two cars to go tubing, but things go horribly wrong. Will the Weekly staffers eat each other alive? And Chip's on the rebound, kind of... is he capable of connecting with Howard's childhood friend Niva?

"...first-rate... Austin Stories has carved out its own place as an amiable, unslick alternative to conventional sitcoms." - Caryn James, NY Times

BULLETS IN THE HOOD - We've been having a lot of fun in recent movie nights, but this time we're bringing you something meaty, something you true film lovers will recognize as important work, by the youngest filmmakers ever to be tapped by Sundance. "Bullets" isn't just about the public face of gang violence. This story is told by a neighborhood teen who can take us behind the hard facades and the news stories to the revealing truths.

Seven of Terrence Fisher's friends were shot and killed in the infamous neighborhood of Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn. Terrence is not a gang member or a drug dealer; he's just a normal teenager likes making hip-hop with his friends and happens to live in the projects. What could Terrence do to stop gun violence before losing another friend, or his own life? Terrence and a fellow teen filmmaker picked up a camera to tell the story about gun violence in Bed-Stuy.

Bullets in the Hood not only went to Sundance, but was also chosen as the centerpiece of an anti-gun violence tour which attracted young audiences by the hundreds for "town meetings" at schools, libraries, and youth group gatherings.

EAST AUSTIN STORIES: HOLLY - When the Holly power plant was built in the 1960s, no one in the city government cared that it was being located in a residential neighborhood in the heart of Mexican-American East Austin. In 2001, an accident at the plant reminded the city that the danger was still real, and raised the buried questions of environmental racism to the surface. A short documentary created as part of UT film prof Andy Garrison's East Austin Stories project by Matt Drenik, Kevin Terrill and Apolinar "P.J." Garza.

"But the films... heap substantially more on the plates of perception. Wafting from many kitchens are living signs of culture, family, history, sometimes trouble." - Austin-American Statesman

[Hope you enjoyed the Nueva Onda Movie Night last night. Not only was Nancy Smith there for a funny, insightful look at Austin filmmaking, but NOMN regular Lois brought in a voucher for two tickets to see the new movie "Hamlet 2" (from the South Park/Team America guys). We gave that away, as well as two of our usual door prizes. Thanks, Lois!]

Parental advisory: some TV-level language.

The Nueva Onda Movie Nights is a FREE, volunteer-run monthly movie screening held rain-or-shine, 8 pm, on the covered patio at Nueva Onda restaurant, 2218 College, just northwest of Oltorf and S. Congress. We show award-winning indie shorts, docs, and features from around the world... but of course we love to host Austin filmmakers. Find out more about us, apply to guest-curate, sponsor, or submit films at nuevaaustin.com! To leave this list just reply to this message and change the subject to UNSUBSCRIBE. Kitchen opens at 6:30p. Schedule subject to change.