Real Community is Real Art

Andrew Garrison

Aug 24, 2008, 9:18:42 PM8/24/08
to East Austin Stories Announcements, annsg...@gmail.com, gmes...@gmail.com, nbl...@texasfolklife.org
Hi, all-
SAVE THE DATE

REAL COMMUNITY IS REAL ART
A Texas Workshop On The Arts And Urban Development
Friday, September 19 & Saturday, September 20, 2008

I am co-producing a conference set in Austin about issues and ideas of
concern locally and nationally. Basically the conference asks, "What
would community development look like if it benefited the people
already living in a neighborhood and art was a fundamental part of the
engine of change?"

You will soon be receiving an "e-blast" about the conference. If you
want to opt out of receiving more notices, you'll see a link on the
eblast, or you can let me know directly. No unwanted e-mail.

But I hope you take a look. It is going to be a very interesting
conference with guests including Rick Lowe and Cheryl Parker of
Project Row Houses in Houston; Walter Hood, architect from San
Francisco; William Williams, architect from Virginia; and Tom
Finkelperl, director of the Queens (NY) Museum. All of these people
have been intimately involved in developing new tools and new ways for
communities to develop.

We'll start on Friday at 6 p.m. at the Carver with a special screening
of Third Ward TX, my film about Project Row Houses, and some clips
from a work in progress about Sam Mockbee's Rural Studio in Alabama,
presented by filmmaker Sam Douglas and architect Jay Sanders. Followed
by music, barbecue and beverages at Kenny Dorham's Backyard in
conjunction with DiverseArts and Texas Folklife.

Saturday, the 20th, the conference, including presentations, panels,
and topical "Mosh Pits" will begin at 9:30 and go to 5:30. We'll be
sending out the schedule of events and speakers soon. l hope you are
interested and can plan to attend. Pricing information will be in the
eblast. We also have scholarships available.

Best wishes,
Andrew Garrison