Reminder-tomorrow night

1 view

garri...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2007, 6:21:37 PM12/12/07
to East Austin Stories Announcements
East Austin Stories at 6:30 at Our Lady of Guadalupe and 9:30 at Cafe
Mundi. Here is a partial listing.

Students pick their own subjects. Here are the ones I am sure will be
in. There will also be a few wild card surprises.

Quinceanera will be on two different versions. One will be a simple
telling of the events leading up to Lorena Grimaldo's 15th birthday
celebration. If the is time at the Cafe Mundi screening, we'll show a
longer version that includes several of the people behind the scenes
and see their struggle to make it in Norteamerica through lens of the
ritual, and expense, of this event.

Pete and Smiley is about Pete Avila and Ismael "Smiley" Lopez who care
for foster children and have adopted a son.

"Coach" (working title) is about volunteer soccer coach Juan Flores
and his team, a feisty group of under 14-year-old girls. Juan gets
flack sometimes for coaching girls, but he believes women can and need
to be strong and that soccer is one way to get the discipline. And
it's fun.

Darwin Hamilton tells the story of his historic house being taken by
the city by eminent domain in "You Can't Have My Home." Still empty
after seizure three years ago, the family house is the first house to
be purchased by a fred slave in Austin. Darwin contends that the city
low-baled the property value, based on what is selling around the
house, moved him out, and, ironically, plans to make it into an
African-American Cultural museum.

Venus Velvet is the "nom d'arte" for Marita De la Torre when she
performs with the home-grown burlesque troupe, "Kitty Kitty Bang
Bang." But being outspoken as a dancer is just another side of
Marita's boldness that includes development work with girls.

When David Gomez started Hispanic Connect he was a leading organizer
and educator in developing young minds and attempting to bridge the
digital divide. He was also a highly functioning crack addict until
his life came crashing down around him. He now works for his son and
with his support, is trying to rebuild his life.

CAB is life seen from the driver's seat by a range of professional
cabbies in Austin.

SkillPoint Alliance tells the story of a training program for adults
seeking to improve or obtain computer skills.

Raul is about poet Raul Salinas and the work he is doing with SOY,
Save Our Youth, in Johnston High School.

We'll also hear from a roller derby girl, a couple of painters, and
more.

Best wishes,
Andy