William Phillips and Harriet Horn

Nancy Kiser

Nov 8, 2010, 11:48:51 AM11/8/10
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
There is now pretty conclusive evidence that William Phillips who supposedly
married Harriet Horn(e) was actually named Alfred Phillips, but known to his
family by the nickname Will. A descendant supplied me with the following
information:

Alfred Phillips was born about 1802 in Decatur Co GA. Alfred was much older than
Harriet Horn when he married her in Thomas County GA on 21 December 1837. The
1840 census shows Alfred and Harriet living in Decatur County GA, not too far
from George and Mary (Horn) Rich. Mary was Harriet's mother who had remarried.
Sometime in the early 1840s, Alfred/Will and Harriet moved from Georgia to
Eufaula, Alabama, where Alfred died in 1846. Harriet remarried to a man named
James Corbett in 1847.

Somehow, Alfred/Will Phillips and Harriet Horn have gotten confused with another
couple who lived about 100 years earlier. That couple was William and Ann
Phillips of Anson County NC. They had at least two sons named Joel and Zachariah
who around 1773 moved from Anson County NC down to the area that would later
become Wilkes County GA.

DNA testing of descendants of Joel and Zachariah prove that they belong to
Phillips Family DNA Group 8. The DNA and pedigrees of these descendants can be
viewed on our website at www.phillipsdnaproject.com. A descendant of Jourdan
Phillips, the probable brother of Alfred/Will Phillips, has also been DNA
tested, and his DNA indicates he belongs to Phillips Family DNA Group 2, which
can also be viewed on our website. The Y-DNA of Group 2 and Group 8 indicates
these two groups do not share a common paternal ancestor within 1000 years.

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

Tom Hutchison

Nov 8, 2010, 12:40:25 PM11/8/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Nancy

Any guesses as to the parentage of Alfred/Will Phillips?

Tom

George Phillips

Nov 8, 2010, 4:40:06 PM11/8/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

My name is George Phillips and I had some contact with Tom earlier this year about the DNA project for North Carolina. I had planned to participate before now, but it seems that I have misplaced the information that Tom sent me on how to purchase a kit. Would you be so kind as to resend that information.

There is conflicting information in the family about whether my great grand father was actually born in North Carolina in 1816, or whether he came to this country into North Carolina from Wales as a teenager. Your project might at least steer us in a proper direction about his heritage.

Thanks

Nancy Kiser

Nov 8, 2010, 4:56:39 PM11/8/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Hi, George,

Here is a link to the page where you can order a DNA kit:

I recommend either the 25 Y-DNA test for $124 or the 37 Y-DNA test for $149.  The 12 marker test delivers too little information and the 67 marker test is over-kill, in my opinion.

Let me know if you have any trouble ordering the kit.

Nancy

From: Tom Hutchison <tjhut...@optonline.net>
To: encphilli...@googlegroups.com