Some facts on John Phillips b. 1759 in Halifax Co., NC

Douglas Phillips

Jul 8, 2010, 7:40:42 PM7/8/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com

Dear Group:

Some facts on John Phillips b. 1759, Halifax Co., NC:
Quote from a letter written by Lewis Patrick Phillips, b. 2 Oct 1831 in Johnston Co., NC, in May 1900 to a nephew in Johnston Co., NC.  Written from his residence in Downey, California, this youngest son of John Phillips tells of his journey from NC to Illinois, Texas & California.  This informative letter lists his wives & children and his remembrance of early life in NC.  He mentions his father teaching school in Johnston County, NC.

The first entry from the Family Record page of Lewis Patrick Phillips:  John Phillips, son of Henry Phillips & Edith Phillips was born __(not readable) March 1759.

A Sons of American Revolution of California program from 1911 honoring Lewis Patrick Phillips states that his father John was born 1759 in Halifax County, NC and died on 20 Nov 1839 in Johnston Co., NC.  A quote from a biography written by John states that "My Father dyed in my infancy, long before my remembrance;  my mother being poor and not furnished with the necessaries of life gave me up to the discression of my uncles and grandmother by father's side...."

A deposition for pension by John, signed by him;  He states he was born in Halifax County on Deep Creek in this state in the year 1759.  Date of deposition 29 Aug 1831.

In this same deposition he states that he was living near Cheraw Hills, SC when he first served in the Revolution, and in Bladen County, NC before his second tour, and had lived in various places since the war while traveling about as a School Master.  Settling in Johnston County for 40 years where he now lives. (29 Aug 1831)

Can anyone add further to these statements or prove otherwise to their accuracy?

I have more I want to send for your perusal but don't want to overload.  Will send another offering in a few days.

Doug