Elizabeth Phillips House Seward, daughter of Joseph Phillips of early Brunswick County, Va.

Diane Daniel

Nov 23, 2016, 8:20:42 PM11/23/16
to Early NC Phillips Families
I have seen some speculation as to who the daughter Elizabeth Phillips, daughter of Joseph and wife Elizabeth Phillips was.  She was not the widow of Jordan House but was the widow of Henry House who died in 1790.  As you will see from the two attached files, Henry's widow, Elizabeth, married Joseph Seward in September 1803.  One case concerns the sale and division of the estate of Joseph Phillips after his wife died in 1802.  This case starts in 1802 and Elizabeth is shown as Elizabeth House.  Her sister Susannah who was married to Joseph Seward was still living and named at that time.  Susannah died sometime between the start of the case and the sale and division of the proceeds to the legatees.  Elizabeth signed receipt for her proceeds as Elizabeth Seward (April 1804).  Joseph signed for his part which would have been for his children.  Jordan House died sometime between Feb. 1802 (will written) and Feb. 1803 (will recorded).  His wife died in 1811 as her inventory was taken at that time and Jordan's estate finalized.  She never remarried and was shown as Elizabeth House, deceased. Their legatees were named.

I hope to later add some more documents about this Phillips family.  I am descended from Joseph Phillips through his daughter Elizabeth and Henry House (through their son Henry).  I am also descended from a Thomas Phillips who lived here in Brunswick and died here about 1825, wife named Aggy.  I am descended from his daughter Martha (Patsy) who married Warren Delbridge in 1816 in Northampton County, N. C., just across the state line.  Warren Delbridge married first Thomas Phillips'  daughter Elizabeth (Betsy) in 1811 but she died in 1815.  His War of 1812 pension record states that since he was marrying his deceased wife's sister that they could not marry in Virginia.  I have never heard that as being a law of the time but it is stated in the pension record.  Possibly that is why no marriage is found in Brunswick County, Va. for Joseph Seward and Elizabeth House.  Joseph Seward's first marriage, to Susannah Phillips, is shown here and a later marriage after the death of Elizabeth to a Martha King, in 1824.  The 1810 and 1820 census records show a woman the same age range as Joseph living in his household which should have been Elizabeth.  The 1830 census, after he married Martha King, shows a much younger woman living with him.  Joseph Seward died in 1833 and named Martha and his children in his will.

The Joseph Phillips family were neighbors of and had close contact with the Seward and Wesson families.
Henry House Heirs.pdf
Joseph Phillips estate case.pdf

Tom

Nov 23, 2016, 10:05:58 PM11/23/16
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Wow thanks for all the info Diane. I sent an email to Rex Phillips who did the majority of all the Phillips from Brunswick Co. VA. He should be interested in emailing about this. It's been awhile since I've heard from him so I hope he responds.

Tom