Hannah Phillips b. 1792 in NC

Tom Hutchison

Sep 12, 2010, 8:28:48 PM9/12/10
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
I have a query sent to the group...not much to go on, but has any one across a Hannah Phillips, possibly a daughter of a Susannah Phillips (nee.?). Hannah married in Maury Co., TN.

-----
I am the gggggrandaughter of Hannah Phillips b. about 1792 in North Carolina. Hannah married David Hall b. about 1779 (Georgia). The were married in Maury County, Tenn. on Jan. 17, 1810. They moved to Wayne County Ill. in the early 1810's and settled in Big Mound Twp. Their children include Richard b. 1811 in Tenn., James b. 1816, Mary Ann b.1816 my ggggrandmother, Kitsy b.1818, Levy Lewis b. 1821, Philip b. 1826, George W. b. 1837. I would like to know the name of Hannah's parents and the county where she was born. Thank you for your reply.
----

Any thoughts? I think the key is Susannah in Maury Co., TN with quite a few young children in the 1820 census.

Tom

Tim Walls

Sep 13, 2010, 9:43:43 AM9/13/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Tom, What county in NC was Hannah born in?

I have the following information about a Susannah Phillips of Randolph County,
NC. Included is information about other orphans or apprentice bonds. Stephen
Phillips would have been my line of descent, and it is possible Susannah was his
mother and at this time a James Phillips resided in this county, per the census
and tax lists.

Tim

APPRENTICE BONDS
From:
The Genealogical Journal, by the Randolph County Genealogical Society, Vol.
XXII, No. 2, 1998.
The date of the bond, the Court Chairman & Trade (if listed), and the Master and

Apprentice are listed, in that order on each line.
Folder 1810-1813:
6 Nov 1812 Jacob BROWER George SWARINGEN Jean PHILLIPS, orphan, 13 or 14

(years old) (therefore, born about 1799 - TWW)
2 Nov 1813 GRAY John PATTERSON Stephen
PHILLIPS, orphan, 16 next Dec. (therefore, born in Dec of 1797 - TWW)
3 May 1813 WOOD, spinster Obidiah WILLIAM Sally PHILLIPS,
orphan, 6 (years old) (therefore, born about 1807 - TWW)

Folder 1814-1819
8 Aug 1815 WOOD, farming Benj. (X) WILLIAMS Elmsly PHILLIPS,
orphan, 14 next 17 Sep (therefore, born on Sep 17, 1801- TWW)
May 1814 "orphan children without proper care or residence:
Nancy PHILLIPS, dau. of Susannah PHILLIPS
Grief, mulatto boy, son of Susannah PHILLIPS, who is at Thos ALRED's

________________________________
Sep 13, 2010, 9:46:45 AM9/13/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
PS. Maury Co TN was the possible destination for one or two other families from
Randolph County, NC. Check GRAVES and WALL.

Tim

Tom Hutchison

Sep 13, 2010, 9:41:49 PM9/13/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim.

I thought I saw somewhere online it is thought the Phillips of Maury Co., TN came from Chatham Co., NC. Which is where your Phillips line of DNA is from as well as Randolph.  I think that is right? Correct me if not.

Tom

Tim Walls

Sep 13, 2010, 9:45:25 PM9/13/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
I do think that we must be related to the Chatham bunch. After all, it's just over the county line to the east of Randolph and it's not very far at all from where we were located in the New Salem area. I'm eyeing a James Phillips there as possibly the same man as the one in Randolph.

Tim

Sep 13, 2010, 11:01:20 PM9/13/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
It did not move. Orange County formed the eastern third of Randolph County. Rowan County formed the western two thirds. Guilford County was cut out from Orange and Rowan and then Randolph was cut from the bottom third of Guilford. You can see exact time frames at the USGENWEB NC site or google 'county formation North Carolina' Some men owned land in Randolph county but lived in Guilford County, and no doubt this happened with Chatham as well.

Tim