I Need Help with Edward W. "Ned" Phillips of Chatham County NC

Karen Phillips Janolis

Jul 4, 2018, 2:28:35 AM7/4/18
to Early NC Phillips Families
Tom suggested that I convey the information that I know, in hopes that Nancy Kiser may be able to help me with my Phillips lineage.

I am the only child of Henry Allen Phillips, born 2/8/1927 in Chatham County NC, to Henry Fields Phillips and Eva Doris Ross. Henry Fields Phillips was one of the sons of Charlie Bancey Phillips and Ida Bane "Sissy" Fields ( Daughter of Henry Allen Fields and Clara Jane White, also of Chatham County). My Grandfather, Henry Fields Phillips, suffered a nervous collapse after the accidental death of his Grandfather, Henry Allen Fields. He was placed in the care of the NC Mental Health System, where he remained until his death in 1997. He was unable to share any of his family knowledge. Here is where I need help... Charlie Bancey Phillips was the illegitimate son of, Sarah Phillips, born sometime between 1877 and 1881. I can not locate any information on Sarah between the 1870 and 1910 NC Census. I can not find any information on Charlie prior to the 1900 NC Chatham County Census. In 1902, Sarah married James Buchanan "Buck" Bright from the Bear Creek Community. She had two children with Mr. Bright, a son named James Gregson Bright and a daughter named Annie Mildred Bright. I have spoken to some of my Phillips cousins from Sanford, and was told that Sarah never revealed the names of her parents, or the name of Charlie's father. They believe that Sarah was born in Chatham County, but are not sure of which township. It is assumed that she was disowned by her parents after becoming pregnant. The marriage certificate, that is on file in Chatham County, shows Sarah's mother's name as "Lucinda" and no name listed for her father. Her death certificate has her parents listed as John and Laura Phillips. I am relatively sure that all three of these names are fictitious. After "chasing my tail" for almost 8 years, I took the Ancestry DNA test. I now know that I am related to Edward W. "Ned" Phillips, and also to the Brewer, Nall, and Sanders families of Chatham County. It looks like Ned's parents were Lindsey "Lenzible" Phillips and Dorcas Lucille "Lucy" Nall. It also looks like Dennis Phillips and Mary Sanders were Lindsey "Lenzible" Phillips parents. Searching under the assumption that Edward W. "Ned" and Dorcas Brewer Phillips are my Great Grandparents X3, I see that they had a daughter named Sarah. She was born in 1854. She is listed as a daughter in the 1860 NC Chatham County Census and her name on the 1870 NC Chatham County Census is listed as "Cena". Unfortunately, after the 1870 census, she disappears without a trace. I can not find any marriage or death records for her in Chatham or any of the surrounding counties. I am hoping that the missing Sarah is my Great Grandmother X2. Is there any information on what  may have happened to Edward and Dorcus' daughter Sarah?

I have gotten my DNA results from Ancestry, but I do not know how to interpret them. How would I find out what Phillips group I belong to? The only living male left in my family is my son. Would it help us with our Phillips lineage if he were tested? I also wonder if there is any test that could help us determine the surname of the man who fathered my Great Grandfather Charlie Bancey Phillips?

Thank You For Your Help,
Karen Phillips Janolis

Sally Phillips

Jul 4, 2018, 6:10:11 AM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com, Karen Phillips Janolis
Karen, Nancy Kiser will be able to assign you to a Phillips group.  l should add, I suppose, probably.  Then members of that group should be able to help you.

squirt

Jul 4, 2018, 8:47:34 AM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Look at phillipsdnaproject.com.  The attachment shows some of the names you mentioned.
Nancy Kiser was an administrator of this site. Looks like you fit in PHILLIPS Group 10 which is my PHILLIPS group. Welcome!
 I’m from the  Labourn Phillips line. Nancy Kiser understands the dna connections of all identified lines. She’s definitely the one with the most facts. Good luck!

F3FC81AE-1B49-4B67-8E42-32D61D9FAD31.png

Robert Phillips

Jul 4, 2018, 9:12:20 AM7/4/18
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com, Karen Phillips Janolis

Welcome Karen,

Robert and Michael Phillips are in group 10 as well. I think Nancy  thought we were from the Scottish area on the other side of the pond.

Robert

Texas

Jul 4, 2018, 9:20:18 AM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Both Nancy and Tom are most helpful.  Believe Tom is in Group 5 which is mine but could be wrong.

At 08:47 AM 7/4/2018, you wrote:
Look at phillipsdnaproject.com .  The attachment shows some of the names you mentioned.

Nancy Kiser was an administrator of this site. Looks like you fit in PHILLIPS Group 10 which is my PHILLIPS group. Welcome!
 I’m from the  Labourn Phillips line. Nancy Kiser understands the dna connections of all identified lines. She’s definitely the one with the most facts. Good luck!Â

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018, Sally Phillips <snlph...@verizon.net > wrote:
Karen, Nancy Kiser will be able to assign you to a Phillips group.  l should add, I suppose, probably.  Then members of that group should be able to help you. Â

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 2:28 AM, Karen Phillips Janolis
Tom suggested that I convey the information that I know, in hopes that Nancy Kiser may be able to help me with my Phillips lineage.

I am the only child of Henry Allen Phillips, born 2/8/1927 in Chatham County NC, to Henry Fields Phillips and Eva Doris Ross. Henry Fields Phillips was one of the sons of Charlie Bancey Phillips and Ida Bane "Sissy" Fields ( Daughter of Henry Allen Fields and Clara Jane White, also of Chatham County). My Grandfather, Henry Fields Phillips, suffered a nervous collapse after the accidental death of his Grandfather, Henry Allen Fields. He was placed in the care of the NC Mental Health System, where he remained until his death in 1997. He was unable to share any of his family knowledge. Here is where I need help... Charlie Bancey Phillips was the illegitimate son of, Sarah Phillips, born sometime between 1877 and 1881. I can not locate any information on Sarah between the 1870 and 1910 NC Census. I can not find any information on Charlie prior to the 1900 NC Chatham County Census. In 1902, Sarah married James Buchanan "Buck" Bright from the Bear Creek Community. She had two children with Mr. Bright, a son named James Gregson Bright and a daughter named Annie Mildred Bright. I have spoken to some of my Phillips cousins from Sanford, and was told that Sarah never revealed the names of her parents, or the name of Charlie's father. They believe that Sarah was born in Chatham County, but are not sure of which township. It is assumed that she was disowned by her parents after becoming pregnant. The marriage certificate, that is on file in Chatham County, shows Sarah's mother's name as "Lucinda" and no name listed for her father. Her death certificate has her parents listed as John and Laura Phillips. I am relatively sure that all three of these names are fictitious. After "chasing my tail" for almost 8 years, I took the Ancestry DNA test. I now know that I am related to Edward W. "Ned" Phillips, and also to the Brewer, Nall, and Sanders families of Chatham County. It looks like Ned's parents were Lindsey "Lenzible" Phillips and Dorcas Lucille "Lucy" Nall. It also looks like Dennis Phillips and Mary Sanders were Lindsey "Lenzible" Phillips parents. Searching under the assumption that Edward W. "Ned" and Dorcas Brewer Phillips are my Great Grandparents X3, I see that they had a daughter named Sarah. She was born in 1854. She is listed as a daughter in the 1860 NC Chatham County Census and her name on the 1870 NC Chatham County Census is listed as "Cena". Unfortunately, after the 1870 census, she disappears without a trace. I can not find any marriage or death records for her in Chatham or any of the surrounding counties. I am hoping that the missing Sarah is my Great Grandmother X2. Is there any information on what  may have happened to Edward and Dorcus' daughter Sarah?Â

I have gotten my DNA results from Ancestry, but I do not know how to interpret them. How would I find out what Phillips group I belong to? The only living male left in my family is my son. Would it help us with our Phillips lineage if he were tested? I also wonder if there is any test that could help us determine the surname of the man who fathered my Great Grandfather Charlie Bancey Phillips?

Thank You For Your Help,
Karen Phillips Janolis

K. P. Janolis

Jul 4, 2018, 11:20:10 AM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Sally Phillips and Martha Marble! My Grandmother Eva use to tell me that I was " just like the Phillips family". Once, when I was in Liberty NC a man asked me if I was a Phillips. When I answered " Yes, Sir ", he replied "I knew that you were, cause you look just like them." It will be an answer to prayer to finally know who they were. ☺

Nancy Kiser

Jul 4, 2018, 11:44:00 AM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karen,

It does seem likely to me that you belong to our Phillips Family DNA Group 10, but our groups are based on testing the Y-DNA of Phillips men and it does not sound like you have one to test. Your son inherited his Y chromosome from his father, so he should have Janolis Y-DNA, not Phillips Y-DNA. Also, if Charlie Bancey Phillips was illegitimate, he would not have Phillips Y-DNA unless his father was a Phillips.

You can transfer your Ancestry autosomal DNA results to Family Tree DNA for a nominal amount of money ($39, I think) and then join our Phillips DNA Project hosted by FTDNA. I can then use some tools provided by FTDNA to see if you share any autosomal DNA with members of the Phillips DNA Project. Autosomal DNA matches are not as conclusive as Y-DNA matches, but they are better than nothing.

A new development at FTDNA is to not allow volunteer administrators like me to see your DNA results unless you proactively choose to let me see them. I can walk you though that process once you transfer your results to FTDNA.

Nancy

K. P. Janolis

Jul 4, 2018, 12:49:31 PM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
I understand. I am certainly at a deficit because I do not know anything about DNA testing. We recently did a test with CRI Genetics and are awaiting the results. The testing that they use appears to be from a different aspect. In the meantime, I would love to forward my ancestry results and would be more than happy to give the necessary permission for you to look them over. Could you tell me where to go online to start that process?
Thank you, Nancy.
Karen

Nancy Kiser

Jul 4, 2018, 3:02:04 PM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com

Here's a link to a page at FTDNA where you can transfer your AncestryDNA test results to Family Tree DNA:

Although they say it is for free, you have to pay them a small amount ($39?) to "unlock" all your matches.

K. P. Janolis

Jul 4, 2018, 4:09:16 PM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Nancy. I will let you know when they have confirmed the transfer.

Robert Phillips

Jul 4, 2018, 11:14:48 PM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com

Nancy,

I noticed the link for  Deed for the property of Merrill was not working anymore. CAn this be fixed at the bottom of the web page?

https://phillipsdnaproject.com/ylineage/phillips-family-photos/237-robert-phillips-family-photos-group10

Phillips DNA Project, using male Y-DNA to connect genetic cousins.

Jul 4, 2018, 11:52:24 PM7/4/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,
Did you mean to forward your last email to me?

Karen

Nancy Kiser

Jul 5, 2018, 10:58:21 AM7/5/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
I did not forward the email to you, Karen. The website ENCPhillipsFamilies sent it to you because Robert attached his request to the thread that you originally started on the website.

K. P. Janolis

Jul 5, 2018, 11:00:07 AM7/5/18
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
My apologies.