David Phillips of St. Clair Co. known Family Group

Tom Hutchison

Jun 11, 2010, 6:09:52 PM6/11/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Hi All--

The results for a descendent of David Phillips have started coming in. Per Nancy's email and a reminder, this is her Family Group, Group 8. The mystery is solved.

Your first 25 DNA markers have come back from the lab and you match my Phillips Family Group 8, as I suspected you might.  Congratulations!  I am copying all the other members of Phillips Family Group 8 to keep everyone in the loop.
---
Based on info you sent to me plus information in my files, I have the following Phillips lineage for you:

Probably William Phillips bc 1660 possibly in VA, m Susannah Williams
Probably David Phillips bc 1700 probably in Richmond Co VA, m Mary unknown
Possibly William Phillips bc 1730 probably in Orange Co VA, m Elizabeth unknown
David Phillips b 19 June 1755 Orange Co NC, m Mary Sophia Hoffman
Samuel Phillips b 1779 Orange Co NC, m Mehitable Thompson
Amos Phillips b 1826 St Clair Co IL, m Sarah Mary Higgins
Jerome Phillips b 18 May 1861 St Clair Co IL, m Miranda Jane Miller
Jack Andrew Phillips b 22 June 1903 Cherokee Co KS, m Mildred Mae Hulen

It is lovely to finally be able to solve the mystery of the origins of your David Phillips of St Clair Co IL.
---

Tom

~*~ Susan Holsan ~*~

Jun 11, 2010, 10:40:59 PM6/11/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Woo-hoo!!! Thanks so very much! I finally have a place to look for my ancestors now! This is very exciting!

Susan

Nancy Kiser

Jun 11, 2010, 11:19:08 PM6/11/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Susan, I can give you quite a lot of documentation on your Phillips ancestors.  When Susannah (Williams) Phillips died in Richmond Co VA in 1725, she left a will in which she mentioned her son David.  From land records we can tell David moved to Spotsylvania Co VA shortly after her death to join his probable brother William.  David and William disappeared from the records of Spotsylvania/Orange Co VA around 1745 when they apparently moved down to North Carolina.  William ended up in Anson Co NC and David in Orange Co NC.  David's probable first born son William died in Orange Co NC in 1794, and he also left a will in which he mentioned his son David, who we now know from DNA was most likely your David Phillips born 1755 in Orange Co NC.  It all hangs together very well.  I will send you some documentation tomorrow.

Nancy

From: Tom Hutchison <tjhut...@optonline.net>

~*~ Susan Holsan ~*~

Jun 12, 2010, 12:09:28 AM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for the new info. I look forward to getting the additional documentation! This is all very exciting!

Tom Hutchison

Jun 12, 2010, 10:24:41 AM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Nancy-

Can you provide a list of the children mentioned in the Will?

If the William in St. Clair Co was the nephew of David, hoping to figure out who William's father was and if the mysterious Joseph Phillips from TN was William's brother.

Did any of Group 8 go to TN, who and where?

Tom

Nancy Kiser

Jun 12, 2010, 10:51:16 AM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Here is an abstract of the will of William Phillips who died in Orange Co NC in 1794:

William Phillips, Will, 1794, ORANGE Co., NC (wife, Elizabeth; children David, Joel, William, Susannah, Pheby & Elizabeth.

LIKELY PEDIGREE OF OWEN PHILLIPS (kit no 178919)

William Phillips bc 1660, died 1725 Richmond Co VA, m Susannah Williams

David Phillips bc 1700 Richmond Co VA, m Mary unknown

William Phillips bc 1725 Orange Co VA, d 1794 Orange Co NC, m Elizabeth unknown

David Phillips Jr b 1755 Orange Co NC, d 1826 St Clair Co IL, m Mary Sophia Hoffman

Possible children to David Phillips (bc 1700) based on deed proximity in Orange Co NC:

William bc 1725 probably in Orange Co VA, d 1794

Benjamin bc 1727

David Jr. bc 1730 probably in Orange Co VA

John bc 1735 probably in Orange Co VA

Jesse b bef 1740 probably in Orange Co VA

Rainy d 1798 Orange Co NC (will says wife Nancy, children Polly, Rachel, Ben Rainey, Hannah, Lucretia, brother William)

Children of William Phillips (bc 1725) based on his will:

David b 19 June 1755 in Orange Co NC

Joel

William

Susannah

Pheby

Elizabeth

Possible children of David, Jr (bc 1755) based on info from Carr bible and Susan Holsan:

   William b. 1780
   Daniel B. b. 1782
   Sarah B. b. 1783
   Mary b. 1785
   Katherine b. 1786
   Margaret. b. 5 May 1787 (Susan's line)
   Sophia b. abt 1788
   Hannah b. 1789
   Benjamin b. 1792
   Jerimiah b. 13 Mar 1793
   Joseph 15 Feb 1795
   Samuel Oct 1797, m Mehetable (Elizabeth) Thompson (Owen's line)
   Isaac Jefferson b. 24 Sept 1800 in Orange Co., NC

For what it is worth, we already have two descendants of Jesse Phillips (probable son of David Phillips) in the project: kit numbers 111382 and 110185.  This line is related to the infamous "Bad" Sheriff Frank Phillips who was involved in the Hatfield-McCoy feud in KY.  It seems like a lot of men in this Phillips family tended toward law enforcement as an occupation.  They seem to have been some tough cookies.

Although this is the first time I have seen my Phillips family in Illinois, several lines of Group 8 did live in TN for a while.  Here are some of them:

Kit number 80744

1.  Possibly Leonard Phillips bc 1713 probably in Richmond Co VA, m Joanna Davis

2.  Possibly Zachariah Phillips bc 1738 probably in Orange Co VA, m Frances White

3.  Possibly Thomas Nelson Phillips bc 1770 Amherst Co VA, m Mildred Davis

4.  Unknown (possibly Thomas or Jesse) Phillips bc 1790-1800, m Anna Thurmond probably in Wilkes Co GA

5.  John Augustus Phillips b 17 Jan 1819 GA, AL or TN, m Ann Wortham Cowles

6.  Henry Harris Phillips b 16 Oct 1840 TN, m Mary A.H. Miller

7.  William Augustus Phillips b 8 June 1869 Dyer Co TN, m Eura Lee Parrish

8.  Henry Nelson Phillips b 31 Oct 1899 Dyer Co TN, m Hattie Edna Payne

Kit number 50328

1.  Leonard Phillips bc 1713 probably in Richmond Co VA, m Joanna Davis

2.  Zachariah Phillips bc 1738 probably in Orange Co VA, m Frances White

3.  Conyers Cornelius Phillips bc 1779 Amherst Co VA, m Elizabeth Fearneyhough

4.  Cornelius Phillips bc 1812 Amherst Co VA, m Mary Robertson

5.  John W. Phillips b 1834 TN, m Elizabeth Trammel

6.  Claiborne Bailey Phillips b Cass Co TX, m Arlene Francis Todd

7.  James H. Phillips b 1884 Hot Spring Co AR, m Effie Bell Williams

Kit number 73873

1.  Leonard Phillips bc 1713 probably in Richmond Co VA, m Joanna Davis

2.  Zachariah Phillips bc 1738 probably in Orange Co VA, m Frances White

3.  Conyers Cornelius Phillips bc 1779 Amherst Co VA, m Elizabeth Fearneyhough

4.  Zachariah H Phillips bc 1808 probably in Orange Co VA, m 1) Mary Elizabeth (Polly) Pyland, m 2) Nancy Payne Edney, m 3) Sarah L Kirkland

5.  John Fearneyhough Phillips b 1844 Dyer Co TN, m 1) Mary A Jackson, m 2) Adaline Graves

6.  James Riley Phillips b 1866 Montgomery Co AR, m Emilie Arminda Blocker

Jun 12, 2010, 11:23:15 AM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nancy. Will start looking for a William or  Joel in TN. According to the newpaper abstract, Joesph was home in the early 1820s during the Gov race. Have to look closely at William's and Joel's in TN in the 1810 and 1820 Censuses.

Tom
Jun 12, 2010, 11:49:06 AM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
I assume some of you have some of my notes from Darlington Co, SC where the names Joel and David appear in the early 1800 and we know at least one Phillips there was from Dobbs Co. Think Mary Jane found another Joel.  There was also some odd movement from eastern NC to western NC, to SC, to Tenn and then to Kt - Mary Jane's family.  There was also a Solomon.  Some of these people could have been children of one James Phillips out of Richard co, NC.  And this from Dr. Rudsill's notes

One Joel d 1841 – Davidson Co, NC – was a son of William and Martha of Orange Co, NC – William had a will 1794 – sons Joel, David, William, daughters Mary, Lucy, Hannah, Sarah – the above Joel had sons Solomon of Marlboro Co, SC and James of Newton Co, Ga

A note to myself says some of these people could be part of the Md family.

Martha

Nancy Kiser

Jun 12, 2010, 12:05:13 PM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
I guess we had better get a copy of the will of William Phillips who died 1794 in Orange Co NC, Martha, because your abstract sounds different from mine.  The daughters don't match at all and my abstract says the wife was named Elizabeth, not Martha.  I will try to order a copy of the will from Orange Co NC on Monday.

Nancy

Jun 12, 2010, 1:24:36 PM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think Dr Rudstill's notes must have gotten garbled up somehow.  Part of your information below sounded familiar to me so I checked out our yLineages page and found the following:

FAMILY GROUP 57

Kit number 154603

1.  James R. Phillips b by 1765, possibly in MD, d 1834 Newton Co GA, m 1) Martha Parnell, m 2) Sarah unknown
2.  Solomon Phillips bc 1795 SC, d after 1858 Meriwether Co GA, m 1) Rosanna Creel, m 2) Mrs. Martha Black
3.  Enoch Phillips b 12 Oct 1828 AL, d 1906 Carroll Co GA, m Susan Bean

Kit number 56849

1.  Rev. James Phillips bc 1802 SC, m Mary Mims

2.  George Washington Phillips bc 1825 Darlington Co SC, m Sara Ann Wright

3.  Julius Jackson Phillips b 1863 Darlington Co SC, m Mollie Dale

Kit number 160833

1.  Edward Eli Phillips b 5 Nov 1851 Cleburn/Heard Co GA, m Amanda Jane Shaver
2.  Robert Eli Phillips b 18 April 1879 Gwinnett Co GA, m Dora Icy Bowling
3.  Bonnie Joseph Phillips b Feb 1908 Jefferson Co AL, m Clara
Bell Peters

This is the family group of a lady named Anne Westbrook who has done considerable research on her Phillips family.  Here is part of an email Anne sent to me:

Mine is the family of James Phillips whose will was probated in Newton Co. GA in 1834. He appears to have been in Darlington SC at least as early as 1804 when his youngest son Trustin was born there but maybe earlier (1790s) when other sons were born. He had sons James, John, Joel, Elijah and Solomon. I surmise he was in NC before that.

Anne has not been able to establish the name of the father of her James Phillips who was born about 1765, possibly in MD, but DNA now indicates that he was not related to William Phillips who died in Orange Co NC in 1794.

Nancy

Sent: Sat, June 12, 2010 11:01:36 AM

Nancy Kiser

Jun 12, 2010, 3:20:03 PM6/12/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
I just found an abstract of William's will online at google books and it looks like both of our abstracts are partially right and partially wrong.  This is from a book entitled "Abstracts of Wills recorded in Orange County, North Carolina":

Will of WILLIAM PHILLIPS of Orange County, N.C. dated 9 May 1974

wife: Elizabeth

son Joel
son David "tract where he now lives" (100 acres)
son William "tract where he now lives" bounded by Trousdell...on Haw River

daus: Susannah and Pheby and Elizabeth

"My four daughters by my first wife": Mary, Lucy, Hannah, Sarah

Executors: wife Elizabeth, sons David and Joel
Witnesses: William Rainey, Mary Simmons

Note on back of will: "Widow and Joel Phillips qualified"

I guess we had better get a copy of the will of William Phillips who died 1794 in Orange Co NC, Martha, because your abstract sounds different from mine.  The daughters don't match at all and my abstract says the wife was named Elizabeth, not Martha.  I will try to order a copy of the will from Orange Co NC on Monday.

Nancy

Martha Marble

~*~ Susan Holsan ~*~

Jun 13, 2010, 2:54:55 PM6/13/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Nancy

I have a question that may need to be addressed off-list as it pertains to a related line. Now that I know which Phillips family I belong to, I decided to do a search on RootsWeb for William and Susannah Williams Phillips. What I found seems to be consistent and even one quoted you, Nancy, as their source. What I have is that Susannah was the daughter of Roger Williams and Joane Frith. His parents were Sydrach Williams and Ann Tiller and Joane's parents were Nathaniel Frith and Elizabeth Parsons. Since this is a Phillips site, can you email me privately regarding information on this? Thanks so much for all your help!

Susan

Jun 15, 2010, 2:04:29 PM6/15/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

Do you know anything about the daughter, Elizabeth? I had an email several years ago asking about an Elizabeth b. 1746 that had migrated to near Belleville, IL. (I can no longer reach the person who sent it.) She thought there was a connection with my David, but at the time I had no idea that there could have been a connection. So, now I am curious if she was, indeed, David's sister.

Susan

Jun 15, 2010, 3:45:05 PM6/15/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
That's OK - just thought maybe you might have stumbled upon something.