New to the group!

drbeth820

Oct 13, 2010, 7:43:35 PM10/13/10
to Early NC Phillips Families
I have researched my west Georgia Phillips family back to a Hardy
Thomas Phillips, born in 1781 in North Carolina. I have found
conflicting (and unsupported) information regarding his parents on
Ancestry.com. I am interested in another source of information so that
I can further pursue this branch of my family tree!

Beth

Martha Marble

Oct 13, 2010, 9:02:24 PM10/13/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
The earliest Hardy Phillips I have was born ca 1804 in Newberry S.C., who md Mary Elizabeth McJunkin Phillips. Hardy was the son of Charles and Jemima Hardy Phillipsof Craven/Lenoir Co NC who were first cousins.  Most of the eastern NC families that settled in Ga settled in east or middle Ga - but not all of course.

Martha

Tom Hutchison

Oct 14, 2010, 8:23:32 AM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Beth

I thought I would answer to the group because John L. Phillips is on the list.

I couldn't put my finger on it right away, but I realized last night, John on the list should be your closest Phillips relative.

John, you come down from Joseph David Phillips, younger brother to Clifford Phillips(Beth's line), both grandsons of Joseph L. Phillips through John Henderson Phillips. I believe I had come to the conclusion through process of elimination that Joseph L.'s father was John H Phillips, and the H was for Hardy or a nickname(more likely) as the H could have been for Henderson too. Hardy's wife was a Rebecca Veasy who was 65, in 1850 living in Joseph L.'s household.

John H. Phillips
  Joseph L. Phillips
       John Henderson Phillips
           1. Clifford
           2. Joseph David b. 1888

Nancy, this is the family(Joesph L. with Rebecca age 65) living right next to the Hammett family in Troup Co. and more than likely related to Group 8. Pile of Phillips all right there in the 1850 census. Nancy, was Orange Co. the only known location of Group 8 in NC?

Tom

Nancy Kiser

Oct 14, 2010, 12:36:32 PM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com, Virginia Phillips-Smith
Zachariah and Joel Phillips who belong to my Phillips Family Group 8 migrated
down to the area of Wilkes Co GA from Anson Co NC around 1773. Zachariah and
Joel appear to have had an uncle named David Phillips who lived and died in
Orange Co NC, but I do not know if any of his descendants moved down to Georgia.
I do know some of them moved to Kentucky. David Phillips and Thomas Nelson
Phillips from my own branch of the family migrated down to Wilkes Co GA from
Amherst Co VA around 1798, after the Revolution.

When Beth mentioned Hardy Phillips, I immediately thought of Phillips Family
Group 5 (Tom and Martha's group) because of the given name Hardy. I have never
associated the given name Hardy with my Group 8. My group used the given names
David, Leonard, Zachariah, Joel and Joseph a lot.

I also went back through my files and discovered there was a Mark Phillips whose
will is recorded in Greene Co GA. It was written 19 Feb 1812 and recorded March
Term 1817. Mark lists his wife as Nancy. Names as children: Henry Phillips,
Hardy Phillips, John Hudgins Phillips, Melindy Phillips, Jesse Bush Phillips,
Sally Abi, and Patsy Phillips. Also mentions son in laws: 1) Daniel Jackson (who
married Mary Phillips 20 Nov1806) 2) Washington W Bierds (sic) (he's listed as
Washington Beards in his marriage record to Nancy Phillips 28 Dec 1808). Both
of these marriages are listed in Greene Co GA marriage books.
Mark's son Hardy Phillips married Rebecca Veazey 32 Oct 1814 in Greene Co GA.
As Tom mentions, on the 1850 Troup Co GA census, Joseph L. Phillips age 21 born
about 1829 is living with Rebecca Phillips age 65 born about 1785. This is not
conclusive proof that Rebecca was Rebecca Veazey, widow of Hardy Phillips, and
Joseph L. Phillips was their son, but it is certainly suggestive of it. So it
looks like there might have been a Hardy Phillips in my Group 8 after all.

On the 1840 Troup Co GA census, the following men are living in District 700 of
Troup County:

Dist 700, Hardy Phillips 60-69
Dist 700, Henry JB Phillips 30-39
Dist 700, James T Phillips 20-29
Dist 700, Thomas Phillips 50-59
Dist 700, William D Phillips 60-69
Dist 700, William Hammet 40-49

Hardy Phillips had two males age 10-14 in his household, one of whom could have
been Joseph L Phillips who would have been about 11 years old in 1840.

So basically, I think Beth's father (who is named Joel David Phillips!) should
match the DNA of my Phillips Family Group 8 and this will prove that Mark
Phillips who died in Greene County GA around 1817 was a member of my Phillips
family, although I don't know exactly how Mark fits in or where he came from.
Nancy

________________________________
Oct 14, 2010, 2:39:08 PM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is possible Mark ties back to Orange Co NC, although he might also tie back to Anson Co NC.  Quite a few people on the internet have shown him as the youngest son of William and Harriet Horne Phillips of Anson Co NC.  However, we now know there are a lot of mistakes with regard to that lineage.  First of all, William was married to a woman named Ann, not Harriet Horne.  Also William came from Spotsylvania/Orange Co VA, not Surry Co VA.  I have searched the records of Anson Co NC intensively and have not found any references to a Mark Phillips, although I believe Martha may have.  It is interesting to hear that the Veasey surname was found in Granville Co NC, since it is an uncommon surname.

I think Mark was probably born around 1750 to 1755.  The first reference I find to him in Wilkes Co GA (if it is the same Mark Phillips) is dated 1779.  Here are a list of references to him that I have collected over the years:

 19 Nov 1779, Wilkes County, GA: Estate sale for the estate of D. Hinton, dec’d.  Buyers included (hole in manuscript) ark Phillips.  (Mark Phillips was probably at least 21 years old in 1779 if he bought things at an estate sale.  This means he was born by 1758.  His son Hardy appears to have been born between 1770-1780, which makes it likely that Mark was born between 1750 and 1760.)

15 Oct 1785, Wilkes County, GA: Deed from Nathan Barnett and Lucey his wife, to Thomas Meriwether, all of Wilkes Co, for £75.  300 acres adjoining east by Richard Webb, southeast by Chandler, northwest by Mark Phillips, all other sides vacant.  Witnesses:  W. Barnett, Henry Tiler, Benja. Fry.  Recorded 20 May 1786 in Wilkes Co Deed Book A, Page 67.

1785: From a remnant of the earliest Wilkes County Tax List: This is the first tax digest found in the court house and was taken to give a practically complete census of the heads of families of that date, to identify their lands as headrights, and possible bounty grants for Revolutionary service, and to replace in a measure the census of 1790, all of which for Georgia was destroyed by the British during the War of 1812 in Washington DC.  There is no complete digest until 1802, only a few pages left in the interim.  The remnant for 1792, 1793 and 1794 have been published in “Some Tax Digests of Georgia” by Ruth Blair, State Historian and Archivist:

Capt Elsberry’s District, received by Michael Elsberry:

Mark Phillips, 1 poll, 700 acres in Wilkes Co, 287 ½ acres in Franklin Co

John Phillips, 1 poll, 250 acres in Wilkes Co, 287 ½ acres in Franklin Co

(torn) 1787, Wilkes County GA: Deed from James Cowen & Rachel his wife to Mark Phillips, all of Wilkes Co, for £50.  200 acres adjoining east by Curtis Wilbourn, south by Joseph Jones, west by Sessem Blake, north by Isaac Muckelroy, granted to Cowen 17 March 1786.  Witnesses: Hugh Ector, Thomas Glass, Eleoner Ector, Holeman Freeman.  Recorded 27 June 1788 in Wilkes Co Deed Book DD, Page 75.

29 April 1789, Wilkes County, GA: Deed from Isaac Muckleroy & Sarah his wife to Mark Phillips, all of Wilkes County, for £40.  200 acres on the south side of Golden Grove Creek of Broad River, adjoining Mark Phillips formerly Cowan, Willis Pope, James Hartsfield, granted to McLeroy 24 Feb 1785.  Witnesses: Benjamin Blake, J.P. and Curtice Welborn.  Recorded 10 May 1790 in Wilkes Co Deed Book EE, Pg 143.  (Mark appears to have lived in the part of Wilkes Co that became Oglethorpe Co in 1793.  The Broad River forms the boundary between Oglethorpe and Elbert Counties and part of the northern border of Wilkes County.  Note that Mark sold this land in 1791.)

25 July 1791, Wilkes County, GA: Deed from Mark Phillips and Ann, his wife, to William Battles, all of Wilkes Co, for £60.  200 acres on south side of Golden Grove Creek of Broad River adjoining said Phillips formerly Coins, Willis Pope, James Hartsfield.  Granted to Mackleroy 24 Feb 1785.  Witnesses: Jno Moore, J.P.  Recorded 29 May 1792 in Wilkes Co Deed Book II, Page 23.

25 July 1797:  Mark Phillips registered his brand for stock.  This is recorded in Greene County Deed Book 1 at pg 334-335.  (A Mark Phillips lived in Oglethorpe County, as he appears on a tax list there in 1798.  However, Greene County borders Oglethorpe County.  Perhaps men registered their stock brands in several counties.)

1798: Mark Phillips appears on the tax list in Oglethorpe County, GA.

20 November 1806 Mary Phillips married Daniel Jackson in Greene County GA.  (Mary was the daughter of Mark Phillips, because Mark mentioned his son-in-law Daniel Jackson in his will which was proved in Greene County in 1817.  Since the average age of marriage for women was 16-20, Mary was probably born circa 1786-1790.)

28 December 1808 Nancy Phillips married Washington Beard in Greene County GA.  (Nancy was the daughter of Mark Phillips, because Mark mentioned his son-in-law Washington Beard in his will which was proved in Greene County in 1817.  Since the average age of marriage for women was 16-20, Nancy was probably born circa 1788-1792.)

23 November 1810 Henry Phillips married Nell or Nicey Ward in Clarke County, GA.  (Henry might have been the son of Mark Phillips.  Clarke County borders Oglethorpe County on the west.  However, Travis Phillips says Henry J. B. Phillips was married to Elizabeth Fuller, although he gives no record documentation.)

23 October 1814 Hardy Phillips married Rebecca Veazey in Greene County GA.  (Hardy Phillips was probably the son of Mark and Nancy Phillips.  He was mentioned in the will of Mark Phillips which was proved in Greene County GA in 1817.)

1817: The will of Mark Phillips was admitted for probate in Greene Co GA.

25 Oct 1821 Patsy Phillips married Timothy Veazey in Greene County, GA.  (Patsy was a nickname for Martha, so this may be the Martha Phillips mentioned in the will of Mark Phillips.)

13 Dec 1821 Malinda Phillips married Elijah Lee in Greene County, GA.  (This is probably the Malindy Phillips mentioned in the will of Mark Phillips.)

27 Dec 1821 Jesse B. Phillips married Betsy Martin in Greene County GA.  (Jesse Bush Phillips was the son of Mark Phillips because he was mentioned in the will of Mark Phillips proved in Greene County in 1817.

9 Nov 1825 Abia Phillips married Oliver Cosby in Morgan County GA (Abi Phillips is mentioned in the will of Mark Phillips.)

Sent: Thu, October 14, 2010 10:56:48 AM

Tom Hutchison

Oct 14, 2010, 3:03:56 PM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like the right track with the only thing that needs an
explanation is Hardy's claim to being b. in NC.

1850 mortality schedule states b. NC as does the 1880 census, where
Joseph claims his father was b. in NC. How do we explain Hardy's claim
to b. NC and not GA as it appears that Mark was in GA before the birth
of Hardy?

And don't forget about the Hammett connection and a Hammett Phillips
living right next to Joseph and Rebecca in Troup. Starting to make my
head hurt.

Nancy Kiser

Oct 14, 2010, 3:20:34 PM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
The Georgia Phillips have always made my head hurt!

Well, according to the 1840 Troup Co GA census, Hardy was born between 1770 and
1780. The first mention of Mark in Georgia that I can find is 1779. So it is
just barely possible that Hardy was born in NC and moved down to GA with his
family shortly after his birth. It is also possible that Hardy's son Joseph was
confused about where his father was born. After all, it was Joseph who probably
supplied the info on the 1850 mortality schedule and the 1880 census. Sometimes
people shoot from the hip when supplying info to census takers.

With regard to the Hammett connection, the only Phillips I can connect them to
is a John Phillips who died in Wilkes Co GA in 1781. His date of death is
actually written in an old Hammett family bible. I guess it is always possible
that Mark was a son of John. We need to get a copy of Mark's will to see the
order in which he named his sons. If the first named son was Henry, that
indicates his father might have been named Henry. However, we do know Mark had
a son named John. I am guessing that Hardy was Mark's wife's maiden name.

Oct 14, 2010, 3:58:33 PM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
The mortality listed him as 70, but I always go +-5. 70 sounds too round of a number to me. It is possible he was b. in NC right before Mark's move south. Yes, a pretty good bet his mother's maiden name was Hardy. Of course we now have a stray Hardy Phillips, son of a Thomas in Orange Co. that will need to be looked at a little more closely. Maybe Hardy was a grandmother's maiden name.

Beth, in any regards, it will sure be interesting to see your Phillips DNA line!

Tom

P.S. This is also the line I believe connected to the well known, Dr. Ulrich Bonnell Phillips of Troup Co.

Martha Marble

Oct 14, 2010, 5:24:17 PM10/14/10
At 02:39 PM 10/14/2010, Nancy Kiser wrote:
Yes, it is possible Mark ties back to Orange Co NC, although he might also tie back to Anson Co NC.  Quite a few people on the internet have shown him as the youngest son of William and Harriet Horne Phillips of Anson Co NC.  However, we now know there are a lot of mistakes with regard to that lineage.  First of all, William was married to a woman named Ann, not Harriet Horne.  Also William came from Spotsylvania/Orange Co VA, not Surry Co VA.  I have searched the records of Anson Co NC intensively and have not found any references to a Mark Phillips, although I believe Martha may have.

Don't see a Mark in my few Anson Co notes but that is where the Reubin/Clemons line of Md who made a quick stop in Dobbs ended up.  There was a Mark in Bladen Co in 1799 but that was long after Anson split off.  As you know, Orange was also formed partly from Bladen.

 It is interesting to hear that the Veasey surname was found in Granville Co NC, since it is an uncommon surname.

Yes and I have seen it before and can't remember where but don't think in Craven Co

Martha

Martha Marble

Oct 14, 2010, 5:26:22 PM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Understand the surname Hardy/Hardee in NC is about as common as Smith even in the 1700's.  At that time, most of them were in Eastern NC.  Hardy wives had a tradition of naming a son Hardy and that cut across all of the different lines.

Martha

Martha Marble

Oct 14, 2010, 5:29:10 PM10/14/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget that part of Orange came from Edgecombe where IOW/Surry families abounded including some of the Hardy family of IOW  a very well known and prominent family - Phillips also, of course.

Martha

drbeth820

Oct 15, 2010, 12:18:58 PM10/15/10
to Early NC Phillips Families
Wow! This is a LOT of information (and names) to process! I have
printed all of this out and will read it tonight - my father and I are
heading over to Hogansville and Harrisonville (Georgia) in the morning
(hoping to beat Auburn game-day traffic!) to hunt down some old family
cemeteries he vaguely remembers from his childhood. I will also
forward all of this information to my aunt (my father's sister), who
lives in North Carolina, to see if I can recruit her into some records
research up there - see if we can track down some of these names you
have all been so generous to share!
I am thinking of heading back to DC in a couple of weeks to go back to
the LOC - if any of you can suggest any references I should be looking
for (i.e. Georgia or NC records) or that you would like copies of, I
will be happy to pull those while I am there and make copies.

Wish that DNA test would hurry up and get here!

Beth

Nancy Kiser

Oct 15, 2010, 1:47:59 PM10/15/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Beth,

If you have a chance, it would be great if you could obtain a copy of Mark's
original will which should be filed at the Greene Co GA courthouse. Usually
clerks only charge a couple of dollars to make copies of wills. While you are
at it, you might want to check for any other probate. The will is supposedly in
Greene Co Will Book 4 at pages 9 and 10.

Nancy

Will check on this! Thanks for the assignment!

Just curious, where did you get the information about the location of
Mark Phillips' will (Book 4 Page 9 and 10)??

Beth

On Oct 15, 12:47 pm, Nancy Kiser <nancy2ki...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Beth,
>
> If you have a chance, it would be great if you could obtain a copy of Mark's
> original will which should be filed at the Greene Co GA courthouse.  Usually
> clerks only charge a couple of dollars to make copies of wills.  While you are
> at it, you might want to check for any other probate.  The will is supposedly in
> Greene Co Will Book 4 at pages 9 and 10.
>
> Nancy----- Original Message ----
> From: drbeth820 <drbeth...@hotmail.com>

Nancy Kiser

Oct 18, 2010, 3:29:29 PM10/18/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
It was posted on the internet by a woman named Pam Veazey Forni back in 2000.
Here is a link to
it: http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?veazey::phillips::5460.html
You could try to contact Pam, but since her message was posted 10 years ago,
she may no longer be at the same email address. Also it does not look like Pam
has posted any other messages since the year 2000, which is not encouraging.

When you are in Troup County, you might also want to look for any will or
probate associated with your Joseph L. Phillips. I found a file posted on
rootsweb indicating Joseph died 11 Nov 1890 in Troup County GA. Here is a link
to that
file: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ajobebrown4&id=I02335

Even if you do not have the book and page number, sometimes clerks can look up
wills and probate using the death date and name of the person.

Nancy