Sermons about Bloomberg's term limits

1 view

Greg M. Johnson

Oct 23, 2008, 10:08:34 PM10/23/08
to elca-g
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--bloomberg-thirdte1010oct10,0,7040096.story
--------
"Opponents of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's plan to have the City Council change New York's term-limit law so he can run again are taking their argument to church.  New York clergy members say they're coordinating their sermons on Oct. 19 to center on the issue of term limits.  They will frame the debate as one about voters' rights, because the mayor is seeking to change the law through the City Council, without voter input.  Clergy leaders say they will talk about the historic struggle to earn the right to vote. They will call for that right to be respected. "
--------

This news story struck me as a bit odd.  I'm all for pastors bringing the woes of the world into sermons, and this could include politics.  But this one particular case seems soooo  obtuse.  I'm trying to figure out how you could get a proclamation of the cross into such a sermon, in same the way you could for a topic like "blood diamonds"  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_diamonds ).

--
"You need to come to church in the first place precisely because you are first of this world, not apart from it. You need to embrace Christ precisely because you have sins to wash away - because you are human and need an ally in this difficult journey." -- Barack Obama, June 28, 2006

Greg M. Johnson
http://pterandon.blogspot.com

John M. Hudson

Oct 24, 2008, 10:40:46 AM10/24/08
to ELC...@googlegroups.com

Hmmmm, I'll take a swipe at a cross connection. File it under 1st Commandment.

One of the NY City Council's rationales, I understand, for extending term limits was that having Bloomberg and other incumbents stay on will help New Yorkers, as well as investors from all over, feel more secure during a stock market crash and a recession. Looking to Bloomberg for security takes oiur eyes off of the one in who our trust truly belongs.

How's that?

joHn

P.S., why didn't they feel the same need in 2001 and keep Giuliani in? ;-)

John M. Hudson 895 Brunswick Forge Road Troutville, Virginia 24175 Home 540.992.2058 Cell 540.293.0478

Greg M. Johnson

Oct 25, 2008, 9:45:52 AM10/25/08
to ELC...@googlegroups.com
That is a very interesting perspective, I hadn't thought of the 1st.

Overall, it did seem like a weak issue for churches to get worked up about, and an obtuse thing to fit into a sermon.

I am all in favor of preaching getting into "uncomfortable specifics" in the law portion of the message, but maybe there should be multiple examples of violation of a specific law, the 1st here if you will.  To make a sermon all about a specific good work is not the best in my view.

For example, I've found the statements on US Catholic bishops on the necessity of voting pro-life to be a bit dull, but I find the social teaching of John Paul II to knock my socks off.   Maybe the difference here is between arm-twisting for one specific good deed and confronting sinners with the law.

John M. Hudson

Oct 25, 2008, 10:22:40 AM10/25/08
to ELC...@googlegroups.com
1st Commandment can be used for just about anything. I mean really, what's the root of stealing? Wanting what someone else has? Why would you want what someone else has? Because you think it should belong to you? Why would you think such a thing?Because you think you're God? (I know, this doesn;t completely hold water, ut I think it has apoint.)

Anyway, I tried to find a law to hang Bloomberg on because if something's wrong there has to be one, and if there's a commandment being broken then there's a sermon to be preached. It was weak, I admit.

As to the difference between bishops' pronouncements and the pope, I think you have a good point. Have you noticed how POd everyone gets when a bishop or priest questions a pro-abort demo-lib "catholic" receiving Communion? Gets a lot more attn. even than merely condemning abortion itself. (I think they're right, by the way. We're all sinners, and the Supper is always for the undeserving and unworthy, but there's a huge difference between furtively taking an apple at the grocery store and promoting huge public sinfulness, as in abortion.)

JPII could argue very powerfully and not be shrill. (So can Papa Ratzi.) A lot of indignant bishops tend to be shrill.

joHn

John Hudson
Troutville, Virginia
--
Sarah Palin "is not a serious choice. It makes i
it look like a made-for-TV movie. If the media

Greg M. Johnson

Oct 25, 2008, 10:34:50 AM10/25/08
to ELC...@googlegroups.com
I've also heard of Catholic priests denying communion to employers who had workers on strike against them.   I'm for a balanced witness of this type (social justice + family values), but think both types of withholding communion are in opposition to a "law and gospel" sermon.  The law can be an offense to the unmoved and the gospel can be an offense to the busybody.

What I think is insane in the US Catholic bishops' stand is that you're okay if you say you want the issue of abortion brought back to the states. This was precisely what Scalia argued for in Casey and what many Republicans offer.  I'm guessing in practice, such a scheme protect the unborn officially only in those states that are Red this Tuesday, and unofficially for everyone outside a night's drive from those states.

My proudest votes have been when I found a candidate for state court who DID have the NYS Right to Life Party endorsement, but did NOT get the Conservative Party endorsement.  I've also seen the Conservatives endorse pro-choice Republicans.
:-(