Well, that explains it! A map of denominational prevalence

Greg M. Johnson

May 12, 2008, 7:33:10 PM5/12/08
to elc...@googlegroups.com
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/churchbodies.gif

or
http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/01/27/237-regionalism-and-religiosity/

Interesting observations:
1)  Lutherans hold a majority in none of the counties of Missouri.
2)  I grew up in one of the few black-dot-on-red (>50% Baptist) counties of Virginia, but there's a Lutheran enclave in northern Virginia.
3)  Catholics have half the counties of Minnesota-- I guess that's why there's so much talk about them in "Lake Woebegone."
4)  Northern liberal states are, um, Catholic!  I wonder if the stereotype of liberals as God-hating has as much to do with Baptist's perception of Catholics as it does a "failure" of Catholics to somehow convert their neighbors.
5)  I didn't know so many Mormons were also in Idaho.
6)  I knew "of"  Lutherans from North Dakota, but hadn't thought of it as so much of a Lutheran stronghold.
7)  I'd heard a lot about Lutheran missionaries in Alaska.  Maybe now I know where they went!

--
"Too many lifetimes are consumed by an irrational rebellion against the bullies of one's youth."

Greg M. Johnson
http://pterandon.blogspot.com