"Grace Matters" on grace and a few good men striving

Greg M. Johnson

Jan 5, 2008, 7:44:20 PM1/5/08
to elc...@googlegroups.com
http://www.gracematters.org/listen.html

In my adulthood I once had a Sunday school teacher who strongly bristled at criticisms of "us" as sinners, but strongly urged us to endeavor to excel in certain spiritual practices. Good or bad, this isn't a Theology of the Cross as I see in the Heidelberg Disputation.  I would see that  more as realizing how incredibly polluted we are, and then realizing the only spiritual practice that will help us is the cross.

A recent podcast of Grace Matters-- the radio ministry of the ELCA had two interesting quotes:
i) "Grace is not grace if it excludes anyone for any reason.  That would be love or maybe fondness instead."
ii) "Strive for spiritual maturity."

Good or bad, I think this is far from Luther's Theology of the cross.

As for grace, I'm reminded about Bonhoeffer's notion of grace as a final sum versus an answer beforehand. (I've forgotten the exact words he used).  This version here is like, 'don't criticize any of us sinners because that might exclude some, and grace means universal acceptance of everyone.'   I'd say yes, grace is a universal acceptance after the nuclear blast of law has scorched all our intentions and misdeeds, not something that keeps the bomb from going off.
Another question is whether grace ever excludes. The Heidelberg Disputation and the start of Galatians 5 point to conditions where you lose grace-- by striving for merits in your heart.

As for a way to send the listener off, I still think that's not the way the preaching should go.  It immediately makes me think of the audience in a televangelist program where the preacher says some kind of theology of glory thing, and you see people in the audience nodding their heads, yes I should.   Don Matzat ( http://www.issuesetc.org/resource/journals/gloryvs.htm ) once said, "

"Alternatively, the theology of the Cross defines repentance as contrition and faith rather than contrition and human determination. While the preaching of the Law will lead to contrition or sorrow over sin, the preaching of the Gospel will produce faith in the redemptive work of Christ Jesus."

The focus in the send-off of the podcast was to inspire more determination.

I'd also say, what about those of us who have no maturity? What is our fate?  What of the person who has  do strength to to more striving, is completely spent?   There, I think, is the only case where one is really ready for a theology of the cross. One of the sermons from my sermon contest said ( http://truthvslove.blogspot.com/2005/04/sermon-title-this-is-my-body.html ).

"Jesus is not looking for a few good men. Jesus dies only for the unworthy, the confused, the condemned, the distraught; Jesus hands himself over for you."

--
"Too many lifetimes are consumed byan irrational rebellion against the bullies of one's youth."

Greg M. Johnson
http://pterandon.blogspot.com

Don Whitbeck

Jan 6, 2008, 8:14:53 PM1/6/08
to elc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg:

Great post!  I'm glad that you picked up on the errors of the popcast!

I wonder which theology of the Cross is correct, when there are so many out there!

Regards!

Don

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 19:44:20 -0500
From: pter...@gmail.com