Announcing a $2500 sermon-writing contest for ELCA seminarians.

1 view

Greg M. Johnson

Jan 1, 2008, 10:57:07 AM1/1/08
to ELC...@googlegroups.com

The purpose of "The Truth 'versus' Love Project: The Greg M. Johnson Homiletics Award" is to encourage traditional law and gospel preaching about scriptural passages that have been associated with humanitarian concern.

Do we have to choose between theological orthodoxy and compassion?
Does talk of social injustices have to be seen as a distraction from the business of the church? Do we have to give up an iota of Johannine or Pauline doctrine, of Augustine's writing, of the Book of Concord, lest we become some kind of uncaring brute? Is anyone currently "weeping for those whose life is hard" [Job 30:25] and striving to be faithful to unchanging doctrines? Can anyone confess a Jesus who is truly both "a sacrifice for sin and a model of the godly life"?  This project is a protest against the false dichotomies offered Christians today.

Deadline is March 8,  2008, 11:59:59 PM, EST.

Contest announcment page:
http://pterandon.googlepages.com/truthvslove42

Previous winners:
http://truthvslove.blogspot.com/

A treatise on why Lutherans engage in law preaching:
http://pterandon.blogspot.com/2007/09/preaching-law-to-regenerate.html

_______________
Greg M. Johnson

--
"Too many lifetimes are wasted in an irrational rebellion against the bullies of one's youth."

Greg M. Johnson
http://pterandon.blogspot.com

John Hudson

Jan 1, 2008, 3:22:35 PM1/1/08
to ELC...@googlegroups.com
Hey Greg, picked this up on ELCA-L. Way to go! John

I happened upon this on another email chat list and thought I would pass it
on.  Seminarians interested in submitting their work for consideration can
learn more at pterandon - <http://pterandon.googlepages.com/truthvslove42>
The Truth 'versus' Love Project  V or by contact Greg at
pter...@gmail.com.

Debbie

From: "Greg M. Johnson" <pteran...
<http://groups.google.com/groups/unlock?msg=fd237a460ab66ec9&_done=/group/EL
CA-G/browse_thread/thread/e44aa5c4f8365f97

Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:57:07 -0500

Subject: Announcing a $2500 sermon-writing contest for ELCA seminarians.