LOVE, INC?

Greg M. Johnson

Jan 13, 2008, 3:31:40 PM1/13/08
to elc...@googlegroups.com
Our Social Ministry Committee was discussing the formation in our community of a new chapter of an organization called LOVE, Inc.

I think it's supposed to be an explicitly Christian clearinghouse of not only person-to-person individual volunteering (tutoring, driving)  but potentially also providing of services like a soup kitchen. This organization was touted as having widespread success in the midwest.  Any midwesterners ever heard of it?

I had a number of  mixed feelings:

i) Duplication.  Our county already has an existing clearinghouse  agency which puts a wide number of services into one building. I don't know of anyone who's not completely thrilled with its effectiveness. The agency is secular and/or interfaith. LOVE INC.  group does however also seem to be also about person to person charity.

i) Religion.  On one hand, I'm guessing that this kind of organization might (rightly)  give an opportunity for involvement by some evangelical churches that aren't interested in helping with some interfaith/ secular service agencies.  Sometimes I tire of interfaith things and would rather just as well have secular ones.

Anyone dealt with this before?

--
"Too many lifetimes are consumed by an irrational rebellion against the bullies of one's youth."

Greg M. Johnson
http://pterandon.blogspot.com

mbenne...@comcast.net

Jan 13, 2008, 6:20:28 PM1/13/08
to ELC...@googlegroups.com

From: "Greg M. Johnson" <pter...@gmail.com>
> Our Social Ministry Committee was discussing the formation in our community
> of a new chapter of an organization called LOVE, Inc.
>
> I think it's supposed to be an explicitly Christian clearinghouse of not
> only person-to-person individual volunteering (tutoring, driving) but
> potentially also providing of services like a soup kitchen. This
> organization was touted as having widespread success in the midwest. Any
> midwesterners ever heard of it?

Not I.

Mike Bennett, suburban Chicagoan