View from Ashland

1 view

Kirk Rensmeyer

May 20, 2022, 10:23:50 PM5/20/22
to eatcor...@googlegroups.com
Hi all'
Regarding our EAT meeting with Electrify Ashland members and Beth
Doglio on May 18, here is an article by Lorrie Kaplan. It was recently
published by Ashland News. Lorrie Kaplan is active with
ElectrifyAshland.org.

Emission-free electricity due by 2040

By Lorrie Kaplan

With this year’s Oregon’s legislative “short session” wrapping up just
last week, I was eager to chat with Rep. Pam Marsh, Southern Oregon’s
representative to the Oregon House, to get a fresh round-up on state
climate action news.

As Chair of the House Committee on Energy and Environment, Marsh sits
in a key position to drive climate legislation. Under her leadership,
the Oregon legislature notched several landmark climate victories
last year. The biggest was the “100% Clean” bill which will
effectively require emission-free electricity in the state by 2040.

The rapid-fire, five-week legislative session took place in the
context of a state budget with revenue already coming in $2.7 billion
over projections.

“We were actually able to fund much more than we would usually be able
to in a short session and still keep a healthy reserve,” says Marsh.
“We focused on making smart, one-time investments.”

Adapting to rapid change

Marsh started building out a climate agenda for 2022 almost
immediately after closing the books on the 2021 long session.

“We finished the session, and the next day it was 116 degrees in
Portland, leading to the death of 100 people and, realistically, many
more,” Marsh recalls. “So we started working on legislation within
weeks to respond to the changing conditions on the ground.” People
living in multifamily homes and manufactured homes were among those
hardest hit by the extreme heat.

Companion House and Senate bills were developed which were later
amalgamated into SB1536, the “Emergency Heat Relief Act,” which
supports emergency cooling and clean air efforts during hot or smoky
days. The bill ended up passing with healthy bipartisan support in
both the Senate and the House.

“We had to take action,” Marsh asserts. “We’ve realized we need
warming shelters when it’s really cold outside. We’ve learned we need
clean air shelters when we have smoke. Now we understand we need
cooling shelters as well.”

SB1536 takes a multipronged approach to rising temperatures by
clarifying tenants’ rights and protections to install air
conditioners; authorizing the Oregon Health Authority to deploy
emergency AC units; providing funding for community cooling shelters;
and providing landlord subsidies for creating cooling shelters in
common spaces in multifamily dwellings that lack AC.

A little less fuel on the fire

SB1536 also focuses on reducing emissions from Oregon homes, by making
it easier for renters and low-income homeowners to install efficient
electric heat pumps — the most energy efficient devices available for
providing both cooling and heating. The bill authorizes new subsidies
to landlords as well as rebates to homeowners for installing electric
heat pumps.

The Oregon Department of Energy will work with community-based
organizations for the bulk purchase and mass installation of electric
heat pumps in homes. “We need to build community capacity to help
vulnerable and low-income Oregonians move to electric appliances,”
says Marsh. “We had no idea if there would be money available for heat
pump deployment, but we also knew it was also the right thing to do.”

Creating a plan for building decarbonization

Climate policy and green building advocates have been pushing for
provisions that would allow Oregon cities to create “reach” building
codes requiring energy efficiency that exceeds state codes.

In California, “reach codes” have enabled more than 50 California
counties and cities to enact local moratoria on new natural gas
infrastructure. A rapid reduction in natural gas usage is widely
viewed as essential to putting the brakes on climate change.

In Oregon, the reach code effort failed in 2021, and again in 2022.
But sometimes in failure there is a sweeter success. “We agreed to
form a Resilient, Efficient Buildings Taskforce to look at building
decarbonization strategies,” Marsh explains. She will co-chair the
taskforce along with Sen. Kate Lieber of Beaverton, who chairs the
Senate Environment Committee.

“The reach code effort would have allowed motivated cities to opt in
for more energy efficiency, but only on new buildings, and only up to
10%,” according to Marsh. “We need way more than that, and we hope the
REBuilding Taskforce can get to way more than that.” The taskforce has
funds to engage outside experts as needed.

The group plans to get to work quickly so that recommendations can be
developed in time for consideration for the 2023 legislative session.

And a few more things

Lastly, the legislature also approved funding for the following
additional climate initiatives:

• Studying the impact of drought on streams and habitat.

• The Oregon Health Authority’s Healthy Homes program, which funds
critical repairs and energy efficiency upgrades for low-income and
vulnerable residents.

• Solar and storage rebates.

• Charging networks for medium and heavy-duty trucks.

• Continuing the current rebate program for electric vehicles.

• Seismic planning for oil and fuel storage terminals in the Portland area.

As a close observer of municipal, state, and federal level climate
policy, I sleep a little better at night knowing that Ashland’s
representatives in Salem — Rep. Marsh and Sen. Jeff Golden —
understand the climate crisis. Both are working expeditiously and
strategically to reduce Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions and provide
vital assistance to our most vulnerable neighbors and habitat most
directly affected by climate change.

Read a more complete debrief on Rep. Marsh’s work in the 2022 session
here. Sen. Golden’s recap report can be found here.

Lorrie Kaplan is chair of the Ashland Climate Action Project of
Southern Oregon Climate Action Now and President of the Ashland
Climate Collaborative. She is also an unpaid board member of
Ashland.news. Do you have an idea for Climate Spotlight? Email her at
lor...@socan.eco.

Share this article

Bert Etling

Bert Etling is the executive editor of Ashland.news. Email him at
bet...@ashland.news.

Annette Mills

May 21, 2022, 5:37:23 PM5/21/22
to Kirk Rensmeyer, eatcor...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Kirk. Yes, Lorrie is a powerhouse! At the bottom of her article, it tells a little about her: "Lorrie Kaplan is chair of the Ashland Climate Action Project of Southern Oregon Climate Action Now and President of the Ashland Climate Collaborative. She is also an unpaid board member of Ashland.news. Do you have an idea for Climate Spotlight? Email her at lor...@socan.eco."

To see additional climate-related articles in this nonprofit community newsletter, go to https://ashland.news/?s=%22climate+spotlight%22.

Annette
--
——————
Energy Action Team | Corvallis Sustainability Coalition

VISION: Corvallis has achieved energy security and net zero greenhouse gas emissions.

https://sustainablecorvallis.org/action-teams/energy/
---