Notepad crashes when I click on File->Open...

Michael Burtscher

Jun 15, 2021, 12:00:59 PM6/15/21
to DynamoRIO Users
Hi,

I'm completely new to DynamoRIO... I downloaded 8.0.0-1 and ran the sample as suggested in How to Run (dynamorio.org). Specifically, I ran "c:\DynamoRIO-Windows-8.0.0-1\bin64>drrun.exe -c C:\DynamoRIO-Windows-8.0.0-1\samples\bin64\bbsize.dll -- notepad" on my up to date x64 Win10 box. Notepad launches just fine and when I exit it, I get the sample client bbsize notice with the number of basic blocks and such. But when I run Notepad and click on the File->Open... menu item, it churns for a while before prematurely popping up the sample client bbsize notice. While the Notepad window is still open at that point, it's frozen. The moment I click OK, the Notepad process is terminated/exits.

Can anyone reproduce this? Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Michael

Derek Bruening

Jun 16, 2021, 11:35:58 PM6/16/21
to dynamor...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest using the most recent build: https://github.com/DynamoRIO/dynamorio/releases/latest  On my machine File|Open works with that latest version.

Michael B

Jun 17, 2021, 11:08:53 AM6/17/21
to DynamoRIO Users
Thank you Derek. I tried it with the latest build and Notepad runs like a charm, including File->Open.