Cache Configfile for TLB

Lei Wang

Nov 7, 2022, 1:31:30 AM11/7/22
to DynamoRIO Users
Hi,

I found an issue with TLB offline simulator. Previously I wrote a cache hierarchy file to simulate a 64 cores CPU with L2 and L3.  It can be easily recognized well by "-config_file" option of drcachesim tools.

However when I used the same configuration file and command switch to simulate the result for TLB. It failed. It always gave me the simulation on 4 cores which is the default value.
My command line:
sudo drrun -t drcachesim -config_file cacheconfig/64-2-2.config -simulator_type TLB  -indir temp/

I also tried the following command line
sudo drrun -t drcachesim -config_file cacheconfig/64-2-2.config -simulator_type TLB  -indir - cores 64 temp/
This time it gave out a simulation result on 64 cores.

So is this behavior as designed?  For TLB simulation ,we can't use the cache configuration file for simulation? The command options are the only way?

Thanks
Walter Wang

Derek Bruening

Nov 7, 2022, 11:33:41 AM11/7/22
to Lei Wang, DynamoRIO Users
The contributor who added configuration file support was only able to add it for the cache simulator but filed https://github.com/DynamoRIO/dynamorio/issues/3047 for the TLB simulator.  If you are able to work on this feature to extend the config file support to the TLB simulator that contribution would be appreciated by the community.

Lei Wang (Walter Wang)

Nov 7, 2022, 10:20:06 PM11/7/22
to DynamoRIO Users
Thanks for quick answer. I will have a try after complete my simulation work ^_^.