Dupont Circle Update (4/4/07)

Michæl

Apr 4, 2007, 5:26:02 PM4/4/07
to Dupont Circle Update
4/4/07: [122]

Ludvi Gems & Goldsmith jewelry store (1330 Conn Ave)
has closed. See "D.C. Area Jewelry Store Closes With
Customers' Valuables,"
http://www.nbc4.com/news/11408246/detail.html

Studio 2000 (1633 Conn Ave) has closed. HRC will be
opening a new shop in the space.

Childe Harold has re-opened, claiming they were closed
due to a water main break. (There is a large
"restaurant for lease" sign on their building.)

21P has been shut down by the city. See "Drinking
Privileges", 2nd half of "Young & Hungry,"
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=1122

Mar de Plata (1410 14th St) is opening a second
restaurant, at 1827 Jefferson Place.

Saxbys Coffee coming to 1309 19th St.

FoodBar (17th & R) has closed.

See "Pedestrian Promenade Proposed For 17th Street,"
http://goodspeedupdate.com/?p=2093
See also Might Dupont's 17th St. Be Better Without
Cars?,"
http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/2007/04/17th_street_promanade.php

WP says Iraqi Embassy at 18th & P will become an
Iraqi museum. See "Iraqi Embassy Upgrades Its D.C.
Digs: Mission Acquires Mansion, Plans Extensive
Renovations to Current Site,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/22/AR2007022201999.html

See profile of 1608 20th St, "Favorites: Tabletop,"
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/homegarden/openhouse/3768.html

WP covers Biagio Fine Chocolate (1904 18th St). See
"For Chocoholics, Paradise Found,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/06/AR2007020600440.html

WP profiles new shop at 1901 18th St. See "Red Onion
Records: Small Shop, Many Layers,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/15/AR2007031501723.html

WP reviewed Mai Thai and Banana Leaves. See "The
Allure of Asia: Two D.C. restaurants are easy on the
eyes and budget,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/14/AR2007031400190.html

WP reviewed P St seafood restaurant. See "Making Old
New Again: The Occidental gets a makeover; Pesce adds
a French accent,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/13/AR2007021301110.html

TV crew filmed rats at Baja Fresh (1333 NH Ave),
Popeye's (1315 14th St) and Mixtec (1792 Columbia Rd).
See "Inside Edition's Rat Patrol Finds Rodents Running
Wild In Washington, DC,"
http://www.insideedition.com/ourstories/inside_stories/story.aspx?storyid=704

Two local intersections listed as places "where you
should watch your step:" Dupont Circle and 20th & P.
See "D.C.'s Dangerous Intersections,"
http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/2007/02/dcs_dangerous_intersections.php

See "Dupont, Other Gay Enclaves Dying Out,"
http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/2007/03/gay_enclaves_dying_out.php

See amateur video tour of Dupont Circle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPscqSnviyQ

Local realtor has summary on Dupont real estate; see
[1] below.

ArtNet says Washington's gallery district has moved
from Dupont to 14th St. See "Capital Roundup,"
http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/reviews/lawrence/lawrence3-8-07.asp

WCP covers complaints from the Idiotarod, the Dupont-
to-Adams Morgan shopping cart race. See "A Crawl for
Help? The Idiotarod's charity race may have violated
Adams Morgan's liquor laws,"
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=930

CakeLove now has a "cupcake bar." See
http://melissamccart.wordpress.com/2007/02/17/the-cupcake-bar-at-love-cafe-starts-tuesday/

WP features George's Shoe Repair, at 13th & U and 16th
& U. See "Heart and Sole on U Street: Shoe Repair Ties
This Pair,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/11/AR2007021101520.html

Construction underway at long-vacant building. See
"What's Going on at 14th and U?,"
http://goodspeedupdate.com/?p=2088

The Ellington now hosts a condo sales office. See
"Donatelli Development Opens New Downtown Sales Office,"
http://dcmud.blogspot.com/2007/03/donatelli-development-opens-new.html
Destination U has closed. In 2005 it won a $132,000
grant from the city.

WP says 2008 city budget includes a $250,000 subsidy
for Lincoln Theatre, plus $1.5 million for capital
improvements. See "Lincoln Theatre Troubles Continue:
Council's Graham Says City Subsidy Isn't Enough,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/03/AR2007040301555.html

Construction has started at 14th & Florida. See
"Satellite dish falls; housing will rise,"
http://washingtontimes.com/business/20070321-103759-7890r.htm

New 2 U (14th St) has closed.

DCist reports "the building that houses Ruff N' Ready
Furnishings, 1908 14th St, has been condemned by city
inspectors." See "Go Home Already: Take Me Out,"
http://www.dcist.com/archives/2007/04/03/go_home_already_74.php

Update on Source Theatre: "A Source of Serious
Renovation: $1 Million Makeover Is More Extensive And
Expensive Than Originally Planned,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/27/AR2007032702044.html

One of Georgetown's two comic book shops has moved to
1722 14th St, above Pet Essentials (next to Sparky's).
See "Big Monkey Is on the Move,"
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/index.php/2007/02/22/big-monkey-is-on-the-move/

WP profiles Pet Essentials (1722 14th St). See "A Pet
Cause Celebre: The Eco-Faithful Lap Up Green Items for
Dogs, Cats, Fish,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/14/AR2007031400573.html

Riot Act Comedy Club now open in HR-57's basement,
1610 14th St. See "Get Jazzed About Comedy,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/28/AR2007022801850.html

Universal Gear expected to move into The Matrix
(1529 14th St) around August.

30-unit condo planned for lot north of Viridian to
become a boutique hotel. See "Luxury Hotel on 14th
Street,"
http://loganupdates.blogspot.com/2007/02/luxury-hotel-on-14th-street.html

The space next to new PNC space at 14th & P is
rumored to become a FedEx/Kinko's.

Current reports BoxLife hoping to open around June,
as a 50-seat theatre space and bar. Entrance has been
changed from RI Ave to 1336 14th St.

See "At Playbill, All the Cafe's a Stage,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/01/AR2007030100433.html

WP reviews new Stoney's. See "Burger Heaven: An
American favorite sizzles at restaurants in Rockville
and Logan Circle,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/22/AR2007022200897.html

See "Police Chief Talks to Loganites,"
http://www.dcist.com/archives/2007/02/08/police_chief_ta.php

WCP covers local novel. See "A Literary Tour of Logan
Circle,"
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/index.php/2007/02/19/a-literary-tour-of-logan-circle/

CVS coming to 10th & U. See "CVS Joining the U Street
Crowd,"
http://www.csnadc.org/joomla//content/view/117/29/

See "A Thwarted Renaissance Near the Convention
Center: Ninth Street Corridor Denizens Baffled by Lack
of Development,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/18/AR2007021801339.html

See "In Need of a Place to Stay: Convention Hotel
Called Crucial to Bookings, but Deal Beset by
Several Snags,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/18/AR2007021801142.html

WP covers plans for the Howard Theatre. See "Bringing
A Building, And an Era, Back to Life: Revival Plans
Are In Force at 7th and T,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/24/AR2007022401294.html

Shaw included in "List of Nation's Top Emerging Gay
Ghettos," http://gayghettos.com/regional-lists.htm

Jim Graham wants feds to hand over park to DC. See
"A Meridian Hill Transfer?"
http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/2007/02/a_meridian_hill_transfer.php

Old Fasika's space (2447 18th St) set to open soon as
Grand Central. See "New York arrives in Adams Morgan,"
http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2007/03/26/Life/New-York.Arrives.In.Adams.Morgan-2791231.shtml

Owner of 2461 18th St wants to add New Orleans-style
balconies to his building. See "Madam's Organ to Save
a Bit of Blackie's--If DC Allows It,"
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2007/03/madams_organ_to_save_a_bit_of.html

WCP covers DJ who plays weekends in the Adams Morgan
McDonald's. See "You Deserve a Breakbeat Today: Peter
Rosenberg brings the funk to the Golden Arches,"
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=614

Shooting at 17th and Euclid on Feb 24. See "Police
Seize Car After Shooting,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/25/AR2007022501709.html

DCist says "A long hoped-for Whole Foods Market ... in
Columbia Heights seems all but dead." See "The Great
Grocery Store Chase,"
http://www.dcist.com/archives/2007/02/07/the_great_groce.php

See "Washington's A-List, Cast in Wax: Madame Tussauds
to Open Museum in Downtown D.C.,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/28/AR2007022801966.html

"America's Most Wanted" to open a museum at 7th & F.
See "More Retail Space Confirmations,"
http://gpliving.blogspot.com/2007/02/more-retail-space-confirmations-most.html

See "A Museum to Honor Law Enforcers: $80 Million
Project Will Tell Officers' Stories -- With a Bang,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/28/AR2007022801901.html

WCP says "bar/billiards hall/mini-golf course" complex
called "H Street Country Club" planned for 1335 H St
NE. See "Par Bar,"
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/index.php/2007/02/22/par-bar/

Plans afoot for the Old Naval Hospital at 10th & Penn
SE. See "A Hospital Overdue for Treatment: $6 Million
in Hand, D.C. Seeks Right Plan,"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/21/AR2007022100686.html

Police survey at
http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1241,q,561858,pm,1.asp

Saturday, April 7: Easter Egg Hunt, Stead Park. See
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DupontForum/message/1327

April 21 - 22: "WalkingTown, DC" - free walking tours.
See http://WalkingTownDC.org

Best regards,
Michæl
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77945684@N00/
[1]
It's not easy keeping up with the real estate market.
And rumors are running rampant. So I've compiled a
summary of activity for fee simple sales in the
"traditional" Dupont Circle area for those of us who
have a vested interest in knowing what's going on.

In the past year, 41 Dupont Circle homes listed on the
MLS were sold at an average price of $1,158,902. (Long
and Foster sold 12 of those homes at an average of
$1,297,000.) The least expensive was a one-bedroom,
one-bath (1/1) condo for $307,000, and the most
expensive was a five-bedroom, four-full-baths, two-
half-baths (5/4/2) row house for $2,796,000. The
average days on market were 48, with two days being
the least and 212 being the most. Most folks would
guess that the most expensive house was the most
difficult to sell but, surprise, that one sold
immediately. If they're in good shape, look good, and
are priced properly they'll sell in a reasonable
amount of time. Today's buyers are educated.

Currently, there are six active listings in Dupont
Circle with an average asking price of $1,572,166.
They range from $699,000 for a 2/2/1 row house to
$2,249,000 for a 7/7 row house. According to my
research, we're bucking national and regional trends
in Dupont Circle: inventory is low, prices are
holding, and we have interested, active buyers.

If you, or someone you know, deserve extra-special
attention buying, selling, or both, call me at home,
at the office, or on my cell. As a member of The
Suzanne Goldstein Group, I'll mobilize our team of
six professionals to help you realize your real estate
objectives. Collectively, we have more than 70 years
of experience, and we know how to pool our resources
to achieve success.

In the meantime, if you want additional information
about Dupont Circle, your specific neighborhood, or
any other aspect of the market, let me know. I'm here
to help.

Ed Grimm, Realtor
The Suzanne Goldstein Group
Long and Foster Real Estate, Inc.