New member struggling

1 view

Rach

Dec 5, 2006, 7:13:45 AM12/5/06
to Dreamweaver
Just started a new job and have been asked to look after the two
company websites. Used Dreamweaver 4 to access both sites and retrieve
the files from the remote server. One site has worked fine and I can
make changes etc, but am having big problems with the other one.

Dreamweaver wouldn't initially accept the FTP codes, passwords etc.
I've checked these extensively and have been told they are right.

I therefore used WS FTP Pro to get the files.

Once I did this it seemed I could then 'get' the site using
Dreamweaver, however when I actually came to make changes, they weren't
taking effect on line. When I go back to 'get' the site now, I can see
the changes on individual pages, but not online.

I am now using Dreamweaver 8 and notice that in the 'file' box on the
right hand side on sites that are working ok, you get the full choice
of buttons to upload files etc.

When I open the faulty site, those options are completely removed.

Have tried to think of everything, but am completely baffled as I don't
get any error messages when I set up the FTP details etc.

Help much appreciated!

Kevin

Dec 6, 2006, 11:43:44 AM12/6/06
to Dreamweaver
make sure that you setup the site in dreamweaver 8 as well as entering
in the remote server settings. You should be able to test the ftp
connection settings from within dreamweaver. then if you wanted to you
could use FTP within dreamweaver or you could use the WS_FTP to do it.
Personally I prefer to use the WS_FTP myself. Make sure the directory
structure is identical both in your locally stored copy as well as your
server side copy.