Problem Fetching Symbols

Mike Moreton

Apr 8, 2021, 6:38:08 AM4/8/21
to Dr. Memory Users
We're getting a problem with fetching symbols when running drmemory.  First of all we get the message:

System call information is missing for this operating system: WinVer=105;Rel=1809;Build=17763;Edition=ServerDatacenter.

and then it appears to try and fetch symbols itself, but that hangs until the job we're running times out after two hours.

Any ideas?

Derek Bruening

Apr 8, 2021, 10:42:58 AM4/8/21
to drmemor...@googlegroups.com
Symbol fetching has failed in a few instances as documented here: https://github.com/DynamoRIO/drmemory/issues/2232
Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce it and it is not clear what the problem is.
Does running symchk directly to download work, as asked in the issue?  E.g., though the paths need adjustment:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Debuggers\x86\symchk.exe /v /od /os /ot /ov /ob c:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll /s 'srv*C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Dr. Memory\symcache\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols'

--

---

Mike Moreton

Apr 14, 2021, 3:20:47 AM4/14/21
to Dr. Memory Users
Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you - work stuff got in the way.

We don't actually have symchk.exe on the system (it's a build server that uses MSYS2 for building).  Is that the problem?

Derek Bruening

May 8, 2021, 11:47:51 AM5/8/21
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 3:20 AM Mike Moreton <mike.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you - work stuff got in the way.

We don't actually have symchk.exe on the system (it's a build server that uses MSYS2 for building).  Is that the problem?

No, Dr. Memory ships with the symsrv.dll library.  But trying the standalone symchk is a simple standalone way to test whether the machine is able to connect to the Microsoft symbol server and download symbols.  symchk.exe comes with the Debugging Tools for Windows.