Non-Debug Interpreter & dynamically loading DLL with symbols => DLL symbols missing in result.txt

Robert M. Münch

Dec 30, 2021, 9:44:35 AM12/30/21
to Dr. Memory Users
Hi, we have the following setup on Windows 64-bit for a 32-bit application:

1. Our application is executed by an interpreter we don't have any debug build for, so, no symbol information.
2. We dynamically load a DLL, which is a debug build that has a PDB file.
3. The DLL is always named A.DLL because we have different versions like XYZ.DLL, while the PDB file is named XZY.PDB.

The problem is, that DRM doesn't show any symbols for the DLL.

We tried:
1. Setting _NT_SYMBOL_PATH to the directory where the DLL and PDB file is located.
2. Adding an A.PDB copy of the XYZ.PDB file.
3. Querying the A.DLL with symquery, which finds and lists all symbols.

Is there anything else we can try to get DLL symbols into our results.txt report?

Viele Grüsse. Robert M. Münch

Robert M. Münch

Dec 30, 2021, 9:56:01 AM12/30/21
to Dr. Memory Users
I just dumped the symbols fomr symquery output into a TXT file. What's irritating is that all symbol address ranges use two times the same address:

CryptGenRandom +0x2b35e9-0x2b35e9

I would expect that the start and end address is different.

Robert M. Münch

Dec 30, 2021, 10:32:02 AM12/30/21
to Dr. Memory Users
Some more information while investigating: We run the whole thing in a Parallels VM (host is macOS) which maps a local drive into windows with a drive letter.

I see the following as the last command line output *WARNING: GetLongPathName failed for \Device\Mup\Mac\Shared\develop\a.dll: 3* I'm wondering about the path. It should be *d:\develop\a.dll* The other path, of course, doesn't exist/is inaccessible.

Robert M. Münch

Dec 30, 2021, 10:40:33 AM12/30/21
to Dr. Memory Users
Ok, so, moving everything to the local VM drive seems to work. There the symbols are found.

This means, mapped VM drives seem to make a problem.