Crash on start up

Robert Simpson

Jun 16, 2020, 11:08:48 AM6/16/20
to Dr. Memory Users
I've just installed Dr. Memory for the first time and it crashes on startup.

"Dr. Memory interanl crash at PC 0x7ab265e5. Please report..."

It says to run with -debug -dr debug. I'm running this as an external tool in MSVC 2019 (preview). What exactly do I need to do to file a proper bug report? Adding it to the MSVC external tools entry didn't appear to do anything.

A couple of other questions:

  1. There is a x86 and x64 version. Do you need to match it with the app setting?
  2. What is the vs_external_tool.exe file in the bin directory for? It doesn't seem to work using it in place of  drmemory.exe but I couldn't find any info on it.

Rob.

Derek Bruening

Jun 16, 2020, 3:51:25 PM6/16/20
to drmemor...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:08 AM Robert Simpson <robert.sim...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've just installed Dr. Memory for the first time and it crashes on startup.

"Dr. Memory interanl crash at PC 0x7ab265e5. Please report..."

It says to run with -debug -dr debug. I'm running this as an external tool in MSVC 2019 (preview). What exactly do I need to do to file a proper bug report? Adding it to the MSVC external tools entry didn't appear to do anything.

You mean you added "-debug -dr_debug" right next to "-visual_studio"?  That should provide a lot more output.

A couple of other questions:

  1. There is a x86 and x64 version. Do you need to match it with the app setting?
The drmemory.exe launcher will switch to the other one if the bitwidth doesn't match so it should "just work" either way.

  1. What is the vs_external_tool.exe file in the bin directory for? It doesn't seem to work using it in place of  drmemory.exe but I couldn't find any info on it.
It creates the external tool menu entry (run by installer) and does removal on uninstall.  It is meant to be used by the installer and not manually.

Rob.

--

---